Lead Data Engineer
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received fewer than 30 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
Join The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) to design and deliver the future of government services.
People are at the heart of our mission to ensure that government works for everyone. Be a part of a world-leading public service, and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario, through our work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
Help us scale impact across the public sector, tackling some of the most important issues of our time. We work in multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative teams.
OPS commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace. We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
As a Lead Data Engineer in the Ontario Digital Service you will be presented with the opportunity to foster digital transformation within government while using user-centric design strategies and new technology trends as a part of a multidisciplinary team. You can apply your data engineering skills and expertise on agile product teams and ensure compliance with data architecture, standards, deployment process, security and infrastructure stability. We are looking for people with a proven background and hands-on experience in implementing complex data integration and storage solutions in a collaborative environment. The ideal candidate thrives in a trust-based culture and has exceptional experience in all aspects of leading software development life cycle, architecting, coding and delivering products.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Lead, design, implement, and maintain data pipelines (streaming or batch) that enable the ingestion of raw data into a storage platform; transform that data to be optimized for analytics and make the data available for various data consumers using their tool of choice.
- Lead and develop database models to support data lifecycle management, data collection, data refreshes including data validation, data verification, data enrichment, data harmonization, and data de-identification for large sized complex data.
- Manage and deliver Data Warehouses, Data Lake, Data Lakehouse, Self-Service Tooling, Data Models, APIs, Business Intelligence platforms and Data Solutions for multiple functional areas using cloud technologies such as Azure or Databricks.
- Collaborate with Data Analysts and Data Scientists on development of Artificial Intelligence (AI) / Machine Learning (ML) based solutions, enhance and/or define new data integrations and/or modeling efforts.
- Provide support to Data Governance initiatives such as data quality, data lineage, and metadata management, and perform root-cause analysis to answer specific business questions.
- Develop, maintain, and improve data engineering services to support the sharing of data across government.
- Mentor staff in new data technology, tools, automation, integration, scripting, databases, container-based virtualization tech, processes, and handling production issues.
What you bring to the team
- You possess proven technical skills and expertise and are not afraid to communicate new ideas to technical and non-technical staff.
- You possess exceptional analytical thinking needed for fast problem resolution of a technical nature.
- You are proactive, take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, empowered work environment.
- You work cooperatively and collaboratively with a variety of teams.
- You have expertise in strengthening connections by building trust in relationships with colleagues, partners and different stakeholders and by understanding their perspectives and needs.
- You are committed to sustaining the culture of equality, diversity and inclusion where teams are supported to achieve the best results for everyone to advance and thrive.
How do I qualify?
Architecture and design
- exceptional knowledge in Data Warehouse / Data Lake / Data Lakehouse design practices and experience with schema design in accordance with popular methodologies (e.g. fact/dimensional, DataVault, etc.).
- solid proven knowledge of data architecture patterns and how patterns are implemented in cloud-based solutions, and expert knowledge of large-scale systems analysis, design and development, application and data modelling using industry standards for modelling languages and tools, programming languages and frameworks.
- proven experience in applying software engineering best practices and architectural practices to agile product delivery using emerging delivery methodologies that include but are not limited to agile.
- demonstrated experience designing modern architectural patterns to support delivery of complex IT solutions that are stable, secure, responsive, and scalable.
- extensive experience in working with/on data warehouses and data lakes, including technical architectures, infrastructure components, ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) /ELT (Extract, Load, Transform) and reporting/analytic tools, environments, and data structures.
- advanced proficiency in SQL, Python, Java, Scala, Spark, and are fluent in structured and unstructured data, modern data transformation methodologies, and usage of APIs.
- hands-on experience with Databricks, Azure SQL Server, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure Analysis Services and other cloud-based data and analytics PaaS services.
- solid experience in database management, data modeling, data lifecycle management, defining and creating complex models, performance tuning including script development.
- proven experience in big data analytical methods and techniques, such as, but not limited to: ingestion, streaming, capture, storage, extraction, transformation, structuring, processing, synthesizing, loading, mining, profiling, wrangling, research, preparation visualization and other related disciplines.
- solid experience in software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, requirements gathering, architecting, designing, coding standards, code reviews, source code management, build processes, testing, releasing to cloud (e.g. Git, Continuous integration and continuous delivery CI/CD) and operations.
- extensive knowledge of methodologies, technologies and tools used to build enterprise data solutions and infrastructure; platform integration technologies.
- experience in data science techniques, such as, but not limited to: statistical analysis and modeling, machine learning, deep learning, algorithms, natural language processing and other related techniques.
Leadership and organizational skills
- You have led by example via taking ownership, writing code, being proactive and advocating for a collaborative environment.
- You have steered teams on large scale, complex IT projects and initiatives with high levels of autonomy.
- You have experience providing mentorship, and guiding the work of team members/colleagues.
- You can foster a culture of collaboration and technical excellence.
- You can articulate methods for build/buy choices on project components, identify common IT risks and address them with contingency plans and back-out options.
- You can energize and motivate the team by recognizing successes and learning from failures.
Project and digital experience
- You have worked closely with the product manager in planning product development, assisting in formulating product strategy, building a technology roadmap and setting timelines.
- You have proven judgment and prioritization skills to supervise developers and perform code reviews/quality assurance activities.
- You can define technical approaches to understand the user story, breakdown the tasks and guide others in doing so.
- You have demonstrated the ability to get buy-in from a team to implement new and improved ways of doing things.
- You have steered technology and data disciplines around product development, shared best practices and tools with your peers across the organization, collaborated and shared insights and viewpoints with other developers, and shared lessons learned from your work with peers and leaders to help guide your approach to digital transformation.
- You thrive on feedback and are comfortable transforming ideas generated through user research and data to create a better user experience.
- You can work in a multi-disciplinary team environment to explain and advocate for your ideas to colleagues, both technical and non-technical.
- You are adept at navigating complex issues, and handling partners and stakeholder interactions.
- You have worked with partners to establish relationships with their security, operations, and IT teams.
- You have guided successful technical, business and people-related initiatives that improved productivity, performance and quality.
- You have developed processes to improve the efficiency of teams and taken steps to help others resolve conflicts and maintain trusting relationships.
Why join the team
The team at the ODS is an enthusiastic, supportive and collaborative group of individuals making government work better for people by delivering simple, effective and straightforward digital services and products and having fun while doing it.
- work that makes an impact
- learning and development opportunities
- open and inclusive work environment
- flexible work arrangements
At the ODS, we recognize official qualifications and education are not necessarily the only way to gain experience. Your lived experience is valuable to our team.
For more information about the ODS, please check out the links below:
- About Us
- Jobs at the ODS
- Digital Service Standard
- ODS blog
- COVID-19: Digital Rapid Response
- Sign Up For Job Posting Alerts
- Job title: Lead Data Engineer
- Job ID: 182627
- Organization: Ministry of Finance
- Area of government: Ontario Digital Service
- Location: Toronto Region
The Ontario Digital Service is headquartered at 595 Bay Street (at Dundas Street West). In accordance with advice from the Ministry of Health and the Chief Medical Officer of Health, due to COVID-19, alternate work arrangements may be available.
- Salary: $1,704.17 - $2,128.95 Per Week*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
- Job term: 1 Temporary - duration up to 12 months, with possibility for extension
- Hours of work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
- Compensation group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)
- Job code: 17162 - Systems Officer 6
How to apply
- You must apply online
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6)
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting submissions until Thursday, June 16, 2022 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.