Senior Content Advisor
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received approximately 60 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) is tackling complex public problems with digital approaches. We are building a people-centered approach to the design and delivery of government services, programs and policy.
The ODS is improving the online experience for Ontarians by redesigning the most important government services for the digital age. We own and support a growing number of public facing internet-era products including web content management, online public consultations, open data catalogue and data visualization, location and mapping, search, API and more.
What can I expect to do in this role?
You will make it easier for Ontarians to interact with government by designing, writing, and editing user-focused digital content. This includes drafting everything from error messaging and helper text for web services and mobile applications, to simplifying digital policy, process and legal information for the public on Ontario.ca, the province's flagship website.
- lead content design and strategy throughout the service design cycle
- produce content that helps people find the information they need – when and where they need it
- champion clear-writing, making government information easier to understand and use
- break down complex information so the public doesn't have to
- research, plan, write, design, deliver, evaluate and maintain user-centred web content
- set standards for inclusive, plain language content design
- inspire colleagues across government to make delightful online experiences for the people of Ontario.
What you bring to the team
- You embrace new ideas that put users first.
- You believe diversity and inclusion helps create the conditions for people to achieve the best results, knowing great ideas come from everywhere and everyone.
How do I qualify?
Web Writing and Content Design
You have experience in:
- web writing and editing to deliver a high-quality user experience
- delivering digital content strategy and design
- synthesizing complex information and communicating it in a way that is clear and easy to understand.
You have knowledge of:
- government policies, standards and legislation relating to service delivery in a digital age (for example, the Digital Service Standard, the Simpler, Faster, Better Services Act)
- current web trends (for example, analytics and design), and standards (for example, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and WCAG 2.0 AA)
- emerging trends in UX and content design to advise on strategy and lead the design and ongoing renewal of the government's web content and digital services.
User-Centred Design and Tools
You have expertise in applying content design principles and techniques including:
- writing accessible and inclusive Search Engine Optimized (SEO) content
- journey mapping, writing user stories, content auditing and evaluation
- experience working with user experience designers and user researchers to test and improve content in wireframes and prototypes
- evaluating how text, user interfaces, navigation design, information architecture, and graphics work together in order to create content design improvements in digital services.
Organization and People Skills
- deadline-driven and able to manage multiple projects in motion
- customer service focused with great relationship management skills and political acuity
- an effective communicator and collaborator with impeccable attention to detail
You have experience with:
- collaborating in multidisciplinary teams to build user-centred digital products
- agile product development tools and techniques to add content to working prototypes
- using virtual collaboration tools (Miro, Figma, Jamboard, Mural, etc.)
- applying data and user research findings to continuously improve a service or product.
For more information about the ODS, please check out the links below:
- About us
- Jobs at the ODS
- Digital Service Standard
- COVID-19: Digital Rapid Response
- Sign up for digital job alerts
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti- racism
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
- Job title: Senior Content Advisor
- Job ID: 176856
- Organization: Ministry of Finance
- Area of government: Ontario Digital Service
- Location: Toronto Region
The Ontario Digital Service is headquartered at 595 Bay Street (at Dundas Street West), however alternate work arrangements including telework may be available.
- Salary: $69,425.00 - $100,036.00 Per Year
- Job term: 1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months
- Hours of work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
- Compensation Group: Association of Management, Administrative and Professional Crown Employees of Ontario
- Job code: 5A005 - Communications05
How to apply
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6)
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting submissions until Wednesday, March 23, 2022 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.