Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received 94 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
Join The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) to design and deliver the future of government services.
People are at the heart of our mission to ensure that government works for everyone. Be a part of a world-leading public service, and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario, through our work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
The ODS is improving the online experience for Ontarians by redesigning the most important government services for the digital age. We own and support a growing number of public facing internet-era products including web content management, web publishing, online public consultations, open data catalogue and visualization, laws repository, location and mapping, search, API and more.
Help us scale impact across the public sector, tackling some of the most important challenges of our time. We work in multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative teams. We've been a distributed team since day one, offering flexible work arrangements, where big ideas and extraordinary people come together to drive change.
Bring your curiosity and build the future with us.
As a Senior DevOps in the Ontario Digital Service you will design, build and support cloud environments so that developers can create digital products that will change the way the public interacts with the government. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team that drive digital transformation exploring new technology trends that continue to redefine IT, business and the way we service the citizens of Ontario. Working with a high-impact team, you will be constantly learning new technologies and techniques through research, experimentation and collaborating with other colleagues.
The ideal candidate should have at least 8 years of hands-on experience designing, building, delivering and supporting cloud platforms.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Senior DevOps, you will:
- Have a unique opportunity to enable products and services that impact an Ontarian's day-to-day government experience.
- Be part of an agile, self-directed, multi-disciplinary team that includes a Product Manager, Agile Project Manager, Software Developers, User Experience Researchers, Experience Designers and Content Advisors.
- Leverage your expertise in the designing and building of cost-effective infrastructure, build to deployment and support.
- Be constantly learning new technologies and techniques through research and experimentation.
- You will be the custodian of ODS Cloud environments. You have designed, built and maintained stable, secure and scalable cloud environments that makes it possible for teams to deliver high quality digital products.
- Your expertise in continuous delivery will help us automate our testing and deployment pipelines to deliver faster solutions.
- Your ability to monitor and assess the performance of applications in the cloud environment will ensure our solutions are available anytime, anywhere.
- You will create, test and implement operational safeguards that maintain the integrity of data and protect against unauthorized access.
- As our platforms continues to modernize the online government experience, we will rely on your DevOps expertise to guide other team members.
What you bring to the team
- You think digital by default and embrace new ideas that put users first to find the best solutions
- You are someone who is solution oriented and knows how to get the job done.
- You are proactive, take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- You believe cognitive diversity and inclusion helps create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results.
How do I qualify?
Technical knowledge and skills
- You are a seasoned expert in one of the leading cloud platforms like AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- You have experience in production environment such as Kubernetes
- You are familiar with container-based virtualization technology like Docker
- You have knowledge of DevOps tools and techniques and in-depth technical knowledge of system architectures including technical, data, application and network architectures.
- You have experience implementing software engineering practices for full software development life cycles (SDLC), including coding standards, code reviews, source code management, build processes and testing.
- You have experience working independently with high-level direction to build and maintain complex Linux cloud environments, like CentOS, Ubuntu, or CoreOS, to support modern web technologies: LAMP, MEAN and Drupal
- You have extensive knowledge and demonstrated experience in open source search and analytics engines like ElasticSearch (Setup, configuration, watcher and alerts)
- You have experience in build tools like Git, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Terraform etc. for continuous integration
- You have integration experience using and building APIs
- You have worked with relational and non-relational databases like MySQL, MongoDB, etc.
Standards and best practices
- You have experience applying industry cloud and security standards and best practices to your work that can be adopted by others
- You have designed, implemented and maintained DevOps continuous delivery pipelines to manage from build to deployment and cloud infrastructure using Infrastructure as code practices
- You have knowledge of common authentication technologies, security controls and standard application security tools.
- You have experience in securing environments using offensive and defensive approaches
- You have shared best practices and tools with your peers across the organization.
- You can research industry best practices to support the DevOps standards, and to apply them to your work.
Communication and collaboration skills
- You are a strong communicator who collaborates on your work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- You have strong leadership skills to support and guide team members
- You have experience influencing others by persuasion rather than authority – making your case through excellent communication, speaking clearly to be easily understood, and persuasive writing skills.
- Your responsibilities include working closely with internal and external partners and team members.
- You are comfortable leading discussions and selling your ideas to technical and non-technical colleagues as well as senior management
Project and digital expertise
- You are able to articulate methods for build/buy decisions on project components, identify common IT risks and address them with contingency plans and backout options.
- You are able to analyze designs and determine coding, programming, and integration activities in order identify issues and provide product solutions
- You have worked on an established environment balancing the need to address technical debt with new enhancements through continuous iterations.
- You are adept at navigating complex issues, handling partners and stakeholder interactions.
- You have worked with partners to establish relationships with their security, operations, and IT teams.
- You have experience in providing production support for multiple cloud environments with a focus on quality, security, reliability, and scalability
At the ODS, we recognize official qualifications and education are not necessarily the only way to gain experience. Your lived experience is valuable to our team.
If you're interested in learning more about the Ontario Digital Service, we are hosting an Open House where you'll hear from our team directly about our work, our culture and how we build products.
- Job title: Senior DevOps
- Job ID: 162798
- Area of government: Ontario Digital Service
- Location: Toronto Region
The Ontario Digital Service is headquartered at 595 Bay Street (at Dundas Street West). In accordance with advice from the Ministry of Health and the Chief Medical Officer of Health, due to COVID-19, alternate work arrangements may be available.
- Salary: $1,670.59 - $2,087.00 per week*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
- Job term: 2 Temporary - duration up to 12 months, with possibility for extension
- Hours of work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
- Compensation group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)
- Job code: 17162 - Systems Officer 6
How to apply
- You must apply online
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6)
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting submissions until Tuesday, June 1, 2021 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.