Senior Manager, Data
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received approximately 145 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
The Ontario Digital Service is leading the government's digital transformation approach – working across government to leverage the capabilities of the internet age in the design and administration of our policies, products and services.
If you excel at leading in an agile work environment and want to be at the forefront of digital change, we'd love to hear from you.
The Data Chapter is responsible for nurturing data practitioner skills, practices and capacity that ensure effective use of data to design, develop, improve and manage policies, programs and services.
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) Leadership Behaviors defines what it means to be a leader:
- We are responsible for being leaders that demonstrate authenticity, accountability and courage.
- We are innovative by embracing positive disruption, having a future mindset and by developing each other, every day.
- We are collaborative by leading with a common purpose, being inclusive and driving people centered outcomes.
Note: This position is located in Toronto, however alternate work arrangements may be available. We are a remote first organization and are committed to finding the best people wherever they are.
Diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
The OPS is an innovative, responsive, and accountable public service that works hard to be diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable. Diversifying leadership teams is a top OPS priority with the goal to achieve parity with the Ontario labour force by 2025 for the most underrepresented groups (Indigenous, racialized and persons with disabilities) in leadership positions.
To advance this goal, the OPS is collecting socio-demographic information that will help to address potential barriers and achieve equity in hiring. You are requested to complete the voluntary survey and contribute to building a more diverse, anti-racist, inclusive and accessible OPS.
The OPS invites all interested individuals to apply and encourages applications from Indigenous and racialized individuals, and persons with disabilities.
The OPS is an accessible employer and we offer accommodation in all aspects of employment, including the recruitment process. Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint to learn more about the OPS commitment to advancing racial equity, diversity and inclusion.
The OPS offers employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Senior Manager, Data you will:
- Lead a team of data experts in a fast-paced, user-focused environment to support the development of the discipline in the ODS - to build digital capacity in government.
- Provide expert advice and recommendations to the Director, Assistant Deputy Minister and Deputy Minister.
- Create a safe, open, and accessible environment where debate is encouraged, and opinions are respected to facilitate consensus in decision making.
- Promote a continuous learning environment and learn often yourself - from your team, ministry partners, external partners, industry leaders – in both traditional and non-traditional ways.
- Lead with a common purpose, drive people centered outcomes and foster a culture of diversity, inclusion, openness and excellence.
What you bring to the team
- You think digital by default and embrace new ideas that put users first to find the best solutions.
- You believe empowering teams is the best way they will reach their potential.
- You believe diversity and inclusion helps create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results, knowing the best ideas come from everywhere and everyone.
How do I qualify?
Communication, negotiation and partnerships
- You have a strong commitment to customer service excellence, teamwork and collaboration.
- You are responsive to change and the needs of clients, team members and partners.
- You are a team player who can navigate complex environments and situations, balance a variety of viewpoints and mobilize multiple actors to achieve consensus, generate support and produce meaningful outcomes.
- You communicate with structure and clarity.
- You create a culture of inclusion, psychological safety, dependability, continuous learning, in a fast paced environment.
- You espouse the principles of servant leadership by empowering teams, encouraging collaborative, creative team environments and consensus building.
- You are an inspirational leader with management experience to inspire high team performance, and mentor and coach staff to excel.
Strategy and delivery
- You thrive in an environment where you lead strategy development for your team and can drive transformation through successful execution.
- You have leadership and change management experience to draw upon in delivering digital products and services in a fast-paced, user-focused environment.
- You have experience defining and building metrics, analytics, modeling and dashboards, conducting complex analyses and communicating insights, and recommendations to product and program teams.
- You have developed and maintained data infrastructure and query pipelines for large data sets that allow the most accurate and insightful views into data for products and programs.
- You understand and champion the importance of ensuring good practices including quality analysis of data and compliance with privacy policies and legislation.
- You understand and champion the value of open data and data transparency.
Interested in learning more about this position and how we work? We are hosting an Open House, you'll hear from our team directly about our work, culture and how we build products. If you are interested, please sign up.
Interested in learning more about the ODS? Check out the links below:
- Who We Are
- Digital Service Standard
- About the Simpler Faster Better Services Act
- Digital Action Plan
- Ontario Digital blog
- Job title: Senior Manager, Data
- Job ID: 168244
- Area of government: Ministry of Finance
- Location: 595 Bay Street, Toronto, Toronto region or any city, anywhere in Ontario
- Salary: $90,348.00 - $135,178.00 Per Year*
- Job term: 1 Temporary contract/assignment of up to 12 months with the possibility of extension
- Schedule: 6
- Compensation group: Management Compensation Plan
- Category: Management and General
- Job code: M1107B - Policy and Analysis17
How to apply
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6).
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting submissions until Tuesday, October 26, 2021 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.