Senior product manager
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received 179 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
We are looking for individuals with a background in developing digital products. We seek energetic self-starters, with strong leadership capabilities. The ideal candidates should have at least 5 years of experience delivering digital products either in the traditional online; government; new digital offering or related technologies. Your responsibilities include working closely with internal and external program and engineering team members. You will interact with many other groups to define and deliver world class products in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
The selected candidates will challenge assumptions and design products first and foremost with Ontarians in mind despite the complexity that is often behind the scenes. You must possess outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
Be a part of a world-leading public service, and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario.
The Product chapter is helping transform them Ontario Public Service (OPS) into a digital organization. In addition to leading by example, your role includes coaching others, sharing the product management experience and ensuring product management evolves as a practice across the OPS.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In the role of Senior Product Manager, you will:
- Collaborate with development and user experience teams to deliver impactful products on a day-to-day basis to build iterative, high quality products
- Dive deep to understand the people of Ontario and their problems, and champion those problems with your product team to craft and share a vision for how we can best solve these problems
- Motivate your team and everyone around you through great storytelling and communication
- Be strategic and tactical - you'll help define the product strategy, but also roll up your sleeves and get it shipped
- Lead products from concept to release, while ensuring smooth operations and continuous product improvement.
- Build solid relationships with partners to understand users' needs, program goals, and the program's policies and operational constraints so that you can develop products that are valuable, usable and feasible.
- Provide product management advice and guidance across the Ontario Digital Service and throughout the Ontario Public Sector to share expertise and build digital capacity in government.
- Demonstrate curiosity and seek to understand how a product technically works and ask questions and challenge assumptions
- Demonstrate passion about the user, putting users at the centre of all you do.
- Work out loud and encourage your team to communicate processes to co-workers and to partners throughout their work.
What you bring to the team
- You believe diversity and inclusion helps create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results, knowing the best ideas come from everywhere and everyone.
- A resourceful attitude and positive negotiation skills — you'll be working with a lot of different teams across the OPS as well as with external partners
- You are solution focused and know how to get the job done
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience in digital product management
- You are passionate about users and technology
- You have a proven ability to design new and innovative solutions
- You are able to work independently; anticipating and resolving problems
How do I qualify?
- You have experience developing a product vision and strategy, and have led multi-disciplinary teams to achieve that vision from concept to launch using such methods as agile
- You have strong decision making and prioritization skills
- You have experience collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team to translate the product vision into a backlog and lead the team through smooth and continuous delivery.
- You have experience working on a mature product balancing the need to address technical debt with new product enhancements through continuous iterations.
- You have knowledge and experience with project management methodologies, principles and processes
- You have experience and an understanding of product objectives, goal, and metrics in order to oversee the development and implementation of large-scale projects
- You are experience in change management and risk management principles and processes to provide leadership in the development of strategic plans and change management initiatives and their roll-out
- You have an understanding of the digital marketplace, digital platforms, technology and market trends to identify product opportunities
- You use data to make decisions, gathering anonymous data insights by design to improve product outcomes
- You have demonstrated experience developing and maintaining working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and can effectively promote collaboration among differing viewpoints
- You have experience providing guidance in the areas of digital systems/products, data sources and the collection and context of data
- You demonstrate curiosity and seek to understand how a product technically works. You are able to dive into the technical details and are able to understand technical concepts that are explained to you.
- You have a thorough knowledge of and experience with a broad range of technologies, including common internet protocols, web analytics, semantic markup, REST, and other foundational web technologies that underpin modern digital applications.
- You embed privacy and security into product delivery processes and design.
- You have a thorough knowledge of and experience with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and WCAG 2.0 AA.
User experience and design
- You have knowledge of user experience design and user research principles and concepts.
- You are able to communicate to designers and articulate what is and isn't working about a design.
- You can translate user or data insights into actionable design comments and critiques.
- You communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders, cross-functional teams and across business lines.
- You have experience influencing others by persuasion rather than authority – making your case through excellent communication, speaking clearly to be easily understood, and writing powerfully to persuade.
- You have experience working with a complex group of stakeholders to understand and support their users' needs.
If you're interested in learning more about the Ontario Digital Service, we are hosting an Open House where you'll hear from our team directly about our work, our culture and how we build products.
- Job title: Senior Product Manager
- Job ID: 160950
- Area of government: Ontario Digital Service
- Location: Toronto Region
The Ontario Digital Service is headquartered at 595 Bay Street (at Dundas Street West). In accordance with advice from the Ministry of Health and the Chief Medical Officer of Health, due to COVID-19, alternate work arrangements may be available.
- Salary: $73,402.00 - $108,164.00 per year (at time of posting)
- Job term: 6 Temporary - duration up to 12 months, with possibility for extension
- Hours of work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
- Compensation group: Association of Management, Administrative and Professional Crown Employees of Ontario (AMAPCEO)
- Job code: 6A004 - Admin06
How to apply
- You must apply online
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6)
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting submissions until Wednesday, March 31, 2021 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.