Senior Quality Assurance (QA) Automation Engineer
Applications for this role are now closed.
On this page Skip this page navigation
We received 247 applications for this job opportunity.
All applications received on or before the closing date are screened against the qualifications outlined below. Applicants who meet the qualifications will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
Join The Ontario Digital Service (ODS) to design and deliver the future of government services.
People are at the heart of our mission to ensure that the government works for everyone. Be a part of an impactful public service and help improve the lives of over 14 million people of Ontario, through our work using modern design, data and technology tools and practices.
Help us scale impact across the public sector, tackling some of the most important challenges of our time. We work in an agile multidisciplinary, inclusive, collaborative team.
Bring your curiosity and build the future with us.
As a Senior Quality Assurance (QA) Automation Engineer in the Ontario Digital Service, you will be presented with the opportunity to support digital transformation of top government priorities. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary, impactful team that promotes digital transformation within government while using user-centric design automation strategies and new technology trends. We are looking for a person with a background and hands-on experience in implementing complex, IT testing frameworks, and solutions.
The ideal candidate should have hands-on experience guiding, testing and delivering quality digital products.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Senior QA Automation Engineer, you will:
- Develop and execute manual and automated test plans and test cases for software products.
- Take responsibility for the design, development, and implementation of a QA Framework and standards to produce IT solutions that are affordable, high-performing, reliable, and user-friendly in an Agile and DevOps environment.
- Research new technology trends and develop proofs of concept.
- Have a unique opportunity to contribute in delivery of the top digital government priorities that positively impact Ontarians.
- Be part of an agile team that includes a Product Manager, Developers, Experience Designers, DevOps and Content Advisors.
- Provide guidance in problem-solving that involves people, tech, and processes, using logic and common sense.
What you bring to the team
- You possess strong technical skills and expertise and are not afraid to pursue new ideas and drive digital strategy.
- You are proactive, take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, empowered work environment.
- You are committed to sustaining the culture of equality, diversity and inclusion where teams are supported to achieve the best results for everyone to advance and thrive.
- You care about quality and can foster the QA Strategy for your team.
How do I qualify?
Quality assurance skills
- You have the ability to develop an overall test plan, set testing goals, identify test scenarios, and create test cases that ensure adequate coverage of all requirements and use cases.
- You can design, develop, and maintain automated test scripts and frameworks that improve the efficiency and effectiveness of testing activities.
- You are proficient in test execution and reporting as well as can provide recommendations for improving the quality of the software being tested.
- You have experience with identifying, logging and tracking defects as well as conducting root cause analysis to determine the underlying causes of defects.
- You can create, manage and maintain test data, including data setup, data selection, and data validation.
- You can foster and support the adoption of proven testing patterns, processes, best practices and technologies.
- You have written automated tests for unit, integration, e2e, cross-browser, APIs, performance, cross-device, and accessibility testing.
- You have knowledge and hands-on experience with modern test automation platforms and tools (BrowserStack, Nightwatch, Percy, Pixelmatch, Selenium, SoapUI, Postman, etc.).
- You have experience with code version control systems, cloud delivery / deployment models, virtualization, and container solutions.
- You have expertise with how automation testing can enable Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery and DevOps strategy.
- You have experience with the implementation of scalable, up-to-date, and robust test frameworks and automation platforms.
- You have experience with bug tracking tools such as JIRA, Trello etc.
Leadership and organizational skills
- You have some experience with testing and automation of complex projects with high levels of autonomy.
- You have experience providing mentorship, and guiding the work of team members/colleagues.
- You demonstrate a high level of professional judgement, political acuity and interpersonal skills, which inspires trust and confidence.
- You have proven decision-making and prioritization skills needed to support other QA team members.
- You are well-versed in, and have experience applying to your work, industry best practices that can be adopted by others.
Project and digital experience
- You have sound judgment and prioritization skills to perform code reviews/QA activities in an Agile and DevOps environment.
- You have demonstrated the ability to get buy-in from a team to implement new and improved ways of doing things.
- You thrive on feedback and are comfortable transforming ideas generated through user research to create a better user experience.
- You have participated in retrospective sessions to identify potential QA improvement opportunities.
- You can work in a multi-disciplinary team environment to sell/present your ideas to colleagues, both technical and non-technical.
- You have experience working closely with the stakeholders to understand business needs and ensure testing meets those needs.
- You have proven communication skills to participate in team discussions, make solution recommendations, and document/explain work.
- You have developed processes to improve the efficiency and help others resolve the conflict and maintain trusting relationships.
For more information about the ODS, please check out the links below:
- About us
- Jobs at the ODS
- Digital Service Standard
- COVID-19: Digital Rapid Response
- Sign up for digital job alerts
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and anti-racism
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
- Job title: Senior Quality Assurance (QA) Automation Engineer
- Job ID: 198112
- Area of government: Ontario Digital Service / Technology Chapter
- Location: Toronto Region
Note: This position is located at 595 Bay Street, Toronto; however, alternate work arrangements may be available.
- Salary: $1,513.21 - $1,954.79 Per Week*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
- Job term: 3 Temporary (up to 12 month assignment with possible extension)
- Schedule: 6
- Compensation group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)
- Job code: 17160 - Systems Officer 5
How to apply
- You must apply online
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the writing a cover letter and resume: tips, tools and resources
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- Please do not include shortened URLs, because your application may not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6)
- Ontario Public Service employees are required to quote their WIN employee ID number when applying
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We’re accepting applications until Friday, May 26, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only.