Time Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. T.9Skip to content
R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER T.9
Consolidation Period: From December 15, 2009 to the e-Laws currency date.
Last amendment: 2009, c. 33, Sched. 2, s. 73.
Meaning of expressions of time
1. Where an expression of time occurs in any Act, proclamation, regulation, order in council, rule, order, by-law, agreement, deed or other instrument, heretofore or hereafter enacted, made or executed, or where any hour or other point in time is stated either orally or in writing, or any question as to time arises, the time referred to or intended shall, unless it is otherwise specifically stated, be held to be the time in effect as provided by this Act. R.S.O. 1990, c. T.9, s. 1.
Standard time east of 90o W. longitude
West of that meridian
(2) Standard time in the part of Ontario that lies west of the meridian of 90o W. longitude shall be reckoned as six hours behind Greenwich time. R.S.O. 1990, c. T.9, s. 2 (2).
Daylight saving time
(3) Daylight saving time shall be reckoned as one hour ahead of standard time. R.S.O. 1990, c. T.9, s. 2 (3).
Time in effect
(4) The time in effect shall be,
(a) daylight saving time during the period between 2 a.m. standard time on the second Sunday in March and 2 a.m. daylight saving time on the first Sunday in November; and
(b) standard time during the rest of the year. R.S.O. 1990, c. T.9, s. 2 (4); 2009, c. 33, Sched. 2, s. 73.
Power to vary
(5) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations varying the reckoning of standard time and daylight saving time as fixed by subsection (1), (2) or (3) and varying the time in effect as fixed by subsection (4). R.S.O. 1990, c. T.9, s. 2 (5).