O. Reg. 96/01: ROOFER
under Trades Qualification and Apprenticeship Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. T.17Skip to content
|revoked or spent April 8, 2013|
|December 18, 2012 – April 7, 2013|
|September 3, 2010 – December 17, 2012|
|April 9, 2001 – September 2, 2010|
Trades Qualification and Apprenticeship Act
ONTARIO REGULATION 96/01
Historical version for the period September 3, 2010 to December 17, 2012.
Last amendment: O. Reg. 352/10.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
Definition of “roofer”
1. (1) In this Regulation,
“roofer” means a person who,
(a) installs, removes, alters and repairs roof insulation, air barriers and above deck roof vapour barriers,
(b) installs, removes, alters and repairs systems that are composition roof, built-up roofing, elastomeric, plastomeric and modified bituminous systems and that may include aggregates, coating, traffic planks, decorative finishes on roofing and the common drip edge installed to make a roof watertight,
(c) installs, removes, alters and repairs materials used for damp proofing, waterproofing or weatherproofing, regardless of where in the building system the materials are located or how they are applied,
(d) lays decks or floors that are tile, brick, wood block, mastic or composition decks or floors,
(e) installs, removes, alters and repairs slabs of precast concrete, composition, mineral or other panels over roofing or waterproofing,
(f) installs, removes, alters and repairs slate, tile, asbestos and asphalt shingles or any other kind of roofing shingles. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 1 (1).
(2) In subsection (1),
“installs, removes, alters and repairs”, when referring to roofing shingles, includes,
(a) cementing and laying of felt, paper, insulation or other underlaying, and
(b) dressing, punching and cutting, either by hand or by machinery, in connection with roofing shingles. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 1 (2).
Designation as certified trade
2. The trade of roofer is designated as a certified trade for the purposes of the Act. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 2.
Apprentice training program
3. (1) An apprentice training program is established for the trade of roofer. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 3 (1).
(2) The apprentice training program shall consist of not less than 4,000 hours of,
(a) classes that provide training and instruction; and
(b) on the job training and work experience. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 3 (2).
(3) An employer shall not establish an apprentice training program unless the program is approved by the Director. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 3 (3).
Overtime hours worked by apprentices
4. Despite subsection 8 (2) of Regulation 1055 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990, hours worked by an apprentice in the trade of roofer in excess of his or her regular hours shall be included in computing the apprentice’s hours of on the job training and work experience. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 4.
Exemption, apprentice wages
5. Subsection 10 (1) of Regulation 1055 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 does not apply to an apprentice in the trade of roofer. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 5.
Exemption, compulsory certification
6. (1) Section 9 and subsection 10 (2) of the Act do not apply to a person who works or is employed in the trade of roofer. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 6 (1).
(2) Subsection 10 (3) of the Act does not apply to an employer in the trade of roofer. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 6 (2).
Exemption, term of certificate
7. Section 18 of the Act does not apply to a person with a certificate of qualification in the trade of roofer. O. Reg. 96/01, s. 7.