O. Reg. 516/01: ZONING AREAS - TOWN OF MARKHAM, REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY OF YORK
under Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.13Skip to content
|current||December 20, 2001 – (e-Laws currency date)|
Loi sur l’aménagement du territoire
ONTARIO REGULATION 516/01
ZONING AREAS ― TOWN OF MARKHAM, REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY OF YORK
Consolidation Period: From December 20, 2001 to the e-Laws currency date.
This Regulation is made in English only.
1. (1) In this Order,
“accessory”, when used to describe a use, building or structure, means a use, building or structure that is normally incidental or subordinate to the principal use, building or structure located on the same lot;
“agricultural use” means a use of land, buildings or structures for the purpose of forestry, field crops, fruit farming, market gardening, dairying, animal husbandry, poultry raising, beekeeping and such uses as are customarily and normally related to agriculture;
“building” means any structure, whether temporary or permanent, used or built for the shelter, accommodation or enclosure of persons, animals, materials or equipment;
“burial plot” means a grave or burial site;
“cemetery” means a cemetery or columbarium within the meaning of the Cemeteries Act (Revised);
“conservation and park use” means a use of land, buildings or structures for the purpose of conserving, preserving and protecting the natural heritage and the environment;
“height” means the vertical distance on a building or structure between the established grade and,
(a) the highest point of the roof surface or the parapet, whichever is the greater, of a flat roof, or
(b) the mean level between eaves and ridge of a gabled hip, gambrel or mansard roof, or other type of pitched roof;
“lot” means a parcel of land described in a deed or other document legally capable of conveying land;
“lot area” means the total horizontal area within the lot lines of a lot;
“lot line” means any boundary of a lot;
“setback” means the distance between a lot line or the centre line of a street and the nearest main wall of any building or structure;
“storey” means that portion of a building, other than a cellar or attic or half storey, included between the surface of any floor and the surface of the floor or roof above and includes a basement;
“street” means a common and public highway;
“structure” means anything that is erected, built or constructed of parts joined together with a fixed location on the ground, or attached to something having a fixed location in or on the ground and includes a building, wall or any sign, but does not include a fence that does not exceed 1.8 metres in height. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 1 (1).
(2) In calculating the height of a building or structure, roof constructions such as bulkheads, penthouses and similar constructions enclosing equipment or stairs and which are less than 5.5 metres in height and do not occupy more than 30 per cent of the area of the roof upon which they are located, and any ornamental roof construction such as towers, steeples or chimneys shall be disregarded. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 1 (2).
Application of Order
2. This Order applies to land in the Town of Markham in The Regional Municipality of York described as part of Lots 1, 2 and 3, Concession X, more particularly described as Parts 1-17, 19-24 on Reference Plan 65R-24320 deposited in the Land Registry Office for the Land Titles Division of York (No. 65). O. Reg. 516/01, s. 2.
Use of land
3. (1) Every use of land and every erection, location or use of buildings or structures shall be in accordance with this Order. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 3 (1).
(2) Nothing in this Order prevents the use of any land, building or structure for any use prohibited by this Order if the land, building or structure is lawfully so used on the day this Order comes into force. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 3 (2).
(3) Nothing in this Order prevents the reconstruction of any building or structure that is damaged or destroyed by causes beyond the control of the owner if the dimensions of the original building or structure are not increased or its original use altered. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 3 (3).
(4) Nothing in this Order prevents the strengthening or restoration to a safe condition of all or part of any building or structure. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 3 (4).
Access to a street
4. Every use of land and every erection, location or use of a building or structure shall have direct access to a street. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 4.
5. (1) Every use of land and every erection, location or use of buildings or structures is prohibited on Parts 1, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 on Reference Plan 65R-24320 except,
(a) a cemetery together with accessory uses; and
(b) agricultural uses. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 5 (1).
(2) Requirements for buildings, structures and burial plots permitted by subsection (1) are as follows:
Setback for buildings, structures and burial plots from lot lines
Setback for buildings and structures from residential lot lines
The greater of 9 metres and two times the height of the building or structure
Setback for buildings and structures from non-residential lot line
The greater of 9 metres and the height of the building or structure
Setback for buildings and structures from centre line of Provincial Highway or arterial road designated in Town of Markham Official Plan
Minimum lot area
Maximum building height
O. Reg. 516/01, s. 5 (2).
Conservation and park uses
6. Every use of land and every erection or use of buildings or structures is prohibited on Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 17 on Reference Plan 65R-24320, except for conservation and park uses. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 6.
By-law of the Town of Markham
7. This Order shall be deemed for all purposes, except the purposes of section 24 of the Act, to be a by-law passed by the council of the Town of Markham under section 34 of the Act to amend By-law 304/87, as amended, as it applies to the lands described in section 2. O. Reg. 516/01, s. 7.