O. Reg. 31/02: FEESSkip to content
Trades Qualification and Apprenticeship Act
Loi sur la qualification professionnelle et l’apprentissage des gens de métier
ONTARIO REGULATION 31/02
Historical version for the period January 30, 2002 to March 3, 2005.
This Regulation is made in English only.
1. (1) A fee of $10 per six-hour unit of training, or part of a unit, in a course of training or study within an approved apprenticeship program is payable by apprentices, except as otherwise provided in this section. O. Reg. 31/02, s. 1 (1).
(2) No fee is payable for a course of training or study within an approved apprenticeship program by an apprentice who,
(a) is enrolled in a secondary school program leading to an Ontario Secondary School Diploma; and
(b) is registered as an apprentice in the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program or a similar program approved by the Director and under the supervision of a board as defined in the Education Act in which students receive training and work experience in the trade, other occupation or skill set in respect of which the contract of apprenticeship is approved under section 12 of the Act. O. Reg. 31/02, s. 1 (2).
(3) The Director may approve a fee greater than that listed in subsection (1) for a course of training or study within an approved apprenticeship program if,
(a) demand for spaces in the program exceeds supply;
(b) the cost of delivering the program substantially exceeds the combination of funding for the program under the Act and the fee that would otherwise be charged under subsection (1);
(c) there are strong employment prospects with reasonable expectations for high income for graduates on completion of the program; and
(d) the committee established under section 3 of the Act for that trade recommends to the Minister that the program be subject to a greater fee. O. Reg. 31/02, s. 1 (3).
(4) The Director may approve a fee greater than that listed in subsection (1) for a course of training or study within an approved apprenticeship program that does not meet the criteria in subsection (3) if the fee for the course was charged immediately before this Regulation comes into force. O. Reg. 31/02, s. 1 (4).
(5) Fees for courses of training or study within approved apprenticeship programs are payable by apprentices for all courses of training or study that commence on or after August 1, 2002. O. Reg. 31/02, s. 1 (5).
(6) For purposes of this section,
“course of training or study” means a course of training or study, other than workplace-based training, that is funded by the Minister and that delivers the approved curriculum to apprentices. O. Reg. 31/02, s. 1 (6).