O. Reg. 84/03: USED TIRESSkip to content
Waste Diversion Act, 2002
Loi de 2002 sur le réacheminement des déchets
ONTARIO REGULATION 84/03
Historical version for the period April 9, 2009 to January 24, 2013.
Last amendment: O. Reg. 157/09.
This Regulation is made in English only.
1. In this Regulation,
“tire” includes a part of a tire;
“used tires” means waste that consists of any of the following materials, or any combination of them:
(a) used tires that have not been refurbished for road use,
(b) tires that, for any reason, are not suitable for their intended purpose. O. Reg. 84/03, s. 1.
2. Used tires are prescribed as a designated waste for the purposes of the Act. O. Reg. 84/03, s. 2.
Industry funding organization
3. Ontario Tire Stewardship is continued and is designated as the industry funding organization for the waste diversion program for used tires approved by the Minister under section 26 of the Act. O. Reg. 157/09, s. 1.
4. (1) Ontario Tire Stewardship is composed of the members of its board of directors who shall be appointed in accordance with section 5. O. Reg. 157/09, s. 1.
(2) Despite subsection (1), each member of the board of directors who holds office immediately before Ontario Regulation 157/09 comes into force is deemed to have been appointed to the board in accordance with this Regulation and shall continue to hold office until notice that all members have been appointed under section 5 is published on Ontario Tire Stewardship’s website. O. Reg. 157/09, s. 1.
5. (1) The board of directors shall be composed of the following members:
1. Three members appointed by The Rubber Association of Canada.
2. Two members appointed by Retail Council of Canada.
3. Two members appointed by Ontario Tire Dealers Association.
4. One member appointed by Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers’ Association.
5. One member appointed by Association of International Automobile Manufacturers of Canada. O. Reg. 157/09, s. 1.
(2) If an appointment is not made under subsection (1) within 30 days after the day Ontario Regulation 157/09 is filed, the Chair of Ontario Tire Stewardship may, after providing 30 days notice to the appointing corporations mentioned in subsection (1), appoint an individual as a member of the board of directors, subject to the approval of the Chair of Waste Diversion Ontario. O. Reg. 157/09, s. 1.
(3) A member appointed under subsection (2) shall hold office until the appointment is made under subsection (1). O. Reg. 157/09, s. 1.
6. (1) An individual may be appointed as a member of the board of directors under section 5 only if he or she,
(a) is a director, officer or employee of a corporation that supplies new tires in Ontario, or of an organization referred to in section 5;
(b) is a resident of Canada; and
(c) is at least 18 years of age. O. Reg. 157/09, s. 1.
(2) Despite subsection (1), an individual shall not be appointed as a member of the board of directors if he or she is a bankrupt or has been found by a court to be mentally incapable of managing property. O. Reg. 157/09, s. 1.
Application of Corporations Act
7. Sections 59 and 80 and subsections 283 (4) and (5) of the Corporations Act apply, with necessary modifications, to Ontario Tire Stewardship. O. Reg. 157/09, s. 1.