O. Reg. 424/04: INTEGRATED POWER SYSTEM PLANSkip to content
Electricity Act, 1998
Loi de 1998 sur l’électricité
ONTARIO REGULATION 424/04
Integrated Power System Plan
Historical version for the period July 1, 2011 to December 15, 2014.
Last amendment: O. Reg. 176/11.
This Regulation is made in English only.
Period and updating of integrated power system plan
1. For the purpose of section 25.30 of the Act, the OPA,
(a) shall develop and submit an integrated power system plan that covers a period of 20 years from the date of its submission; and
(b) shall develop and submit an update of the plan every three years, which updated plan shall cover a period of 20 years from the date of its submission. O. Reg. 424/04, s. 1.
Development of integrated power system plan
2. (1) In developing an integrated power system plan under subsection 25.30 (1) of the Act, the OPA shall follow directives that have been issued by the Minister under subsection 25.30 (2) of the Act and shall do the following:
1. Consult with consumers, distributors, generators, transmitters and other persons who have an interest in the electricity industry in order to ensure that their priorities and views are considered in the development of the plan.
2. Identify and develop innovative strategies to accelerate the implementation of conservation, energy efficiency and demand management measures.
3. Identify opportunities to use natural gas in high efficiency and high value applications in electricity generation.
4. Identify and develop innovative strategies to encourage and facilitate cost-effective measures for meeting overall system needs.
5. Consider competitive options when identifying and developing the strategies referred to in paragraph 4.
6. Identify factors that it must consider in determining that it is advisable to enter into procurement contracts under subsection 25.32 (1) of the Act.
7. Ensure that safety, environmental protection and environmental sustainability are considered in developing the plan.
8. Ensure that for each electricity project recommended in the plan that meets the criteria set out in subsection (2), the plan contains a sound rationale including,
i. an analysis of the impact on the environment of the electricity project, and
ii. an analysis of the impact on the environment of a reasonable range of alternatives to the electricity project. O. Reg. 277/06, s. 1; O. Reg. 176/11, s. 1.
(2) For the purposes of paragraph 8 of subsection (1), the following are the criteria:
1. An environmental assessment of the electricity project under Part II of the Environmental Assessment Act must be required.
2. The electricity project, based on the recommended date for completion of the project in the plan, will in the opinion of the OPA require that an application for approval for an undertaking be made under the Environmental Assessment Act within five years after the approval of the plan by the Board. O. Reg. 277/06, s. 1.
(3) In this section,
“electricity project” means a project that includes one or more of a transmission line, generation facility, transformer station or distribution station;
“environment” means air, land, water, plant life and animal life, including human life and “environmental” has a corresponding meaning. O. Reg. 277/06, s. 1.
Publication of plan
3. The OPA shall publish all integrated power system plans that have been approved by the Board under subsection 25.30 (5) of the Act on a publicly accessible website approved by the Board. O. Reg. 424/04, s. 3.
4. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 424/04, s. 4.