O. Reg. 95/05: CLASSES OF CONSUMERS AND DETERMINATION OF RATESSkip to content
Ontario Energy Board Act, 1998
Loi de 1998 sur la Commission de l’énergie de l’Ontario
ONTARIO REGULATION 95/05
CLASSES OF CONSUMERS AND DETERMINATION OF RATES
Historical version for the period March 20, 2008 to March 26, 2009.
Last amendment: O. Reg. 58/08.
This Regulation is made in English only.
1. In this Regulation,
“generation station service” has the same meaning as in the market rules;
“interval meter” means a meter that measures and records electricity use on at least an hourly basis or a time-of-use meter that is capable of providing data on at least an hourly basis. O. Reg. 95/05, s. 1.
2., 3. Revoked: O. Reg. 58/08, s. 1.
Class of consumers, s. 79.16
4. (1) Before May 1, 2009, the following are prescribed as the class of consumers for the purposes of subsection 79.16 (1) of the Act:
1. Designated consumers.
2. Low-volume consumers. O. Reg. 58/08, s. 1.
(2) On and after May 1, 2009, the following are prescribed as the class of consumers for the purposes of subsection 79.16 (1) of the Act:
1. Low-volume consumers.
2. A consumer who has a demand of 50 kilowatts or less.
3. A consumer who has an account with a distributor, if the account relates to,
i. a dwelling,
ii. a property as defined in the Condominium Act, 1998,
iii. a residential complex as defined in the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, or
iv. a property that includes one or more dwellings and that is owned or leased by a co-operative as defined in the Co-operative Corporations Act.
4. A consumer who annually uses at least 150,000 but not more than 250,000 kilowatt hours of electricity and who is not otherwise eligible for treatment under clause 79.16 (1) (b) of the Act pursuant to a regulation made under the Act.
5. A consumer who has an account with a distributor if,
i. the consumer carries on a farming business within the meaning of the Farm Registration and Farm Organizations Funding Act, 1993,
ii. either the consumer holds a valid registration number assigned under the Farm Registration and Farm Organizations Funding Act, 1993 or the consumer’s obligation to file a farming business registration form was waived pursuant to an order made under subsection 22 (6) of that Act, and
iii. the consumer is not otherwise eligible for treatment under clause 79.16 (1) (b) of the Act with respect to its farming business pursuant to a regulation made under the Act. O. Reg. 58/08, s. 1.
Prescribed date, s. 79.16
5. April 1, 2005 is the prescribed date for the purpose of clause 79.16 (1) (b) of the Act. O. Reg. 95/05, s. 5.
Determining rates, s. 79.16
6. (1) For the purpose of clause 79.16 (1) (b) of the Act, the Board shall determine rates in the following manner:
1. The Board shall determine rates in a manner that is consistent with the Standard Supply Service Code issued by the Board.
2. The first rates determined by the Board shall remain in effect for not less than 12 months. The Board shall determine separate rates after that time for periods of not more than 12 months or for such shorter time periods as the Minister may direct.
3. In determining the rates, the Board shall forecast the cost of electricity to be consumed by the consumers to whom the rates apply, taking into consideration adjustments required under section 25.33 of the Electricity Act, 1998 and shall ensure that the rates reflect those costs. O. Reg. 95/05, s. 6 (1).
(2) In making its forecast under paragraph 3 of subsection (1) for the purpose of determining its first rates, the Board shall take into account any potential rebate payment from Ontario Power Generation Inc. that results from Order-in-Council 207/2005, dated February 16, 2005. O. Reg. 95/05, s. 6 (2).
Exemptions, s. 79.16
7. (1) Clause 79.16 (1) (b) of the Act does not apply to a consumer in respect of electricity retailed to the consumer by Fort Frances Power Corporation Distribution Inc. pursuant to its obligations under section 29 of the Electricity Act, 1998 for the volume of electricity supplied to Fort Frances Power Corporation Distribution Inc. by Abitibi-Consolidated Inc. O. Reg. 95/05, s. 7 (1).
(2) Clause 79.16 (1) (b) of the Act does not apply to a designated consumer described in paragraph 8 of subsection 1 (2) of Ontario Regulation 161/99 (Definitions and Exemptions) made under the Act for that portion of electricity consumption identified in the signed declaration provided to the distributor or retailer under clause 3.1.1 (4) (b) of Ontario Regulation 339/02 (Electricity Pricing) made under the Act as not relating to farming business. O. Reg. 95/05, s. 7 (2).
(3) Subsection 79.16 (1) of the Act does not apply to a consumer with respect to generation station service. O. Reg. 95/05, s. 7 (3).
Criteria for purpose of s. 79.16 (4) (b)
8. (1) For the purpose of clause 79.16 (4) (b) of the Act, the criteria are that,
(a) the consumer must file a written statement in accordance with clause 79.16 (4) (a) of the Act; and
(b) the statement must relate to a property for which an interval meter is used for billing purposes to measure the amount of electricity used. O. Reg. 95/05, s. 8 (1).
(2) A consumer who on or before March 31, 2005 meets the criteria of subsection 79.4 (2) of the Act shall be deemed to meet the criteria set out in subsection (1). O. Reg. 95/05, s. 8 (2).
9. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 95/05, s. 9.