O. Reg. 473/06: PILOT PROJECT - POWER-ASSISTED BICYCLESSkip to content
|revoked or spent October 3, 2009|
|October 3, 2006 – October 2, 2009|
Highway Traffic Act
Code de la route
ONTARIO REGULATION 473/06
PILOT PROJECT — POWER-ASSISTED BICYCLES
Historical version for the period October 3, 2006 to October 2, 2009.
Note: This Regulation is revoked on October 3, 2009. See: O. Reg. 473/06, s. 4.
This Regulation is made in English only.
1. (1) In this Regulation,
“power-assisted bicycle” means a bicycle that,
(a) is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in subsection 2 (1) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations made under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), and
(b) bears a label affixed by the manufacturer in compliance with the definition referred to in clause (a). O. Reg. 473/06, s. 1 (1).
(2) A power-assisted bicycle is deemed to not be a motor vehicle under the Act. O. Reg. 473/06, s. 1 (2).
Pilot project re power-assisted bicycles
2. A pilot project to evaluate the use of power-assisted bicycles on highways is established. O. Reg. 473/06, s. 2.
Regulation of power-assisted bicycles
3. (1) Under this project, any person who is 16 years old or over may ride or drive a power-assisted bicycle on a highway. O. Reg. 473/06, s. 3 (1).
(2) No person who is the owner or is in possession or control of a power-assisted bicycle shall permit a person who is under 16 years old to ride or drive the power-assisted bicycle on a highway. O. Reg. 473/06, s. 3 (2).
(3) Subject to subsections (1) and (2) and despite the definitions of “bicycle” and “motor assisted bicycle” in subsection 1 (1) of the Act, the Act applies to a power-assisted bicycle and the riding or driving of a power-assisted bicycle as if it were a bicycle and not a motor assisted bicycle or motor vehicle. O. Reg. 473/06, s. 3 (3).
(4) Despite section 5 of Regulation 610 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 (Safety Helmets) made under the Act, no person shall ride or drive a power-assisted bicycle on a highway unless he or she is wearing a bicycle helmet as required by subsection 104 (2.1) of the Act. O. Reg. 473/06, s. 3 (4).
4. Omitted (provides for the revocation of this Regulation). O. Reg. 473/06, s. 4.