O. Reg. 7/07: STUDENT TRUSTEES
under Education Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. E.2Skip to content
ONTARIO REGULATION 7/07
Historical version for the period January 15, 2007 to March 3, 2011.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. This Regulation applies to every district school board and every secondary school board established under section 67 of the Act. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 1.
2. (1) The board shall develop and implement a policy providing for matters relating to student trustees and to the payment of honoraria for student trustees. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 2 (1).
(2) The policy shall be in accordance with this Regulation and with any policies and guidelines established by the Minister under paragraph 3.5 of subsection 8 (1) of the Act. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 2 (2).
Number of student trustees
3. The board shall have at least one but not more than three student trustees. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 3.
Election procedure and timing
4. (1) Student trustees shall be elected in one of the following ways:
1. Directly, by students of the board.
2. Indirectly, by student representative bodies such as student councils. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 4 (1).
(2) An election shall be held not later than April 30 in each year. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 4 (2).
5. (1) A person is qualified to act as a student trustee if he or she is a full-time pupil of the board in the senior division. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 5 (1).
(2) Despite subsection (1), a person is not qualified to be elected or to act as a student trustee if he or she is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 5 (2).
(3) A person who ceases to be qualified to act as a student trustee shall resign from the position. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 5 (3).
(4) In this section,
“full-time pupil” has the same meaning as in the most recent regulations made under section 234 of the Act. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 5 (4).
Term of office
6. A student trustee’s term of office starts on August 1 of the year in which he or she is elected and ends on July 31 of the following year. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 6.
7. If the board determines that a vacancy shall be filled, it shall be filled by a by-election. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 7.
Reimbursement of expenses
8. If the board has established a policy under subsection 191.2 (3) of the Act, the board shall reimburse student trustees for out-of-pocket expenses as if they were members of the board. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 8.
9. The amount of the honorarium referred to in subsection 55 (8) of the Act is,
(a) $2,500, if the student trustee holds office for a complete term of office;
(b) $2,500 prorated according to the proportion of a term for which the student trustee holds office, if the student trustee holds office for less than a complete term of office. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 9.
Board to provide names to Ministry
10. The board shall provide the Ministry with the names of the student trustees elected, not later than 30 days after the date of the election or by-election. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 10.
11. Despite the revocation of Ontario Regulation 461/97 (Pupil Representation on Boards) made under the Act, that regulation continues to apply in respect of a pupil representative who holds office in the 2005-2006 school year. O. Reg. 7/07, s. 11.