O. Reg. 365/07: USE OF ANIMALSSkip to content
Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005
ONTARIO REGULATION 365/07
USE OF ANIMALS
Historical version for the period July 20, 2007 to August 22, 2007.
Note: This Regulation comes into force on August 23, 2007. See: O. Reg. 365/07, s. 9.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
Licensee must comply with regulation
1. A licensee shall not use any animal in the provision of private investigator or security guard services except in accordance with this Regulation. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 1.
Prohibitions re use of animals
2. (1) An animal may not be used to control individuals or crowds or for the pursuit or restraint of individuals. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 2 (1).
(2) An animal may not be used to guard or patrol a place unless it is accompanied by an individual licensee. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 2 (2).
Dogs for tracking or detection
3. A licensee may use a dog to track or detect people or things. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 3.
Dogs accompanying a security guard licensee for protection
4. (1) An individual licensee, in the provision of security guard services, may be accompanied by a dog for the licensee’s protection. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 4 (1).
(2) A dog accompanying an individual licensee as permitted by subsection (1) must,
(a) be on a lead and under the control of the licensee; and
(b) wear a fluorescent collar and identification tag that includes the name of the licensed or registered business entity that employs the individual licensee. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 4 (2).
5. A dog may not be used as permitted under this Regulation unless it is first trained,
(a) to obey the commands of the dog’s handler or the person the dog is accompanying;
(b) to respond only to aggression against the dog’s handler or the person the dog is accompanying, and to respond accordingly when the aggression abates; and
(c) to not kill or seriously injure people or animals. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 5.
Policies and procedures
6. A licensed business entity shall develop written policies and procedures on the care and handling of dogs used as permitted by this Regulation, including policies and procedures on the dogs’ feeding, housing, transportation, veterinary care, retirement and euthanasia. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 6.
Oversight by employers
7. A licensed business entity shall ensure that the individual licensees employed by it comply with this Regulation. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 7.
Information to new owners
8. An individual licensee or licensed business entity that gives away or sells a dog that was used as described in section 4 shall advise the dog’s new owner that the dog was used to accompany one or more security guards in the provision of security guard services. O. Reg. 365/07, s. 8.
9. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 365/07, s. 9.