O. Reg. 33/13: QUALITY ASSURANCE PROGRAMSkip to content
Naturopathy Act, 2007
QUALITY ASSURANCE PROGRAM
Historical version for the period March 28, 2014 to June 30, 2015.
Note: THIS REGULATION IS NOT YET IN FORCE. It comes into force on the day section 6 of the Act comes into force. (See: O. Reg. 33/13, s. 8)
Last amendment: O. Reg. 85/14.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. In this Regulation,
“assessor” means a person appointed under section 81 of the Health Professions Procedural Code; (“évaluateur”)
“Committee” means the Quality Assurance Committee and includes a panel of the Committee; (“comité”)
“program” means the quality assurance program required by section 80 of the Health Professions Procedural Code; (“programme”)
“stratified random sampling” means a sampling where groups of members are,
(a) removed from the pool of members to be sampled, or
(b) weighted to increase or decrease the likelihood of their being selected. (“échantillonnage aléatoire stratifié”) O. Reg. 33/13, s. 1.
2. (1) The program shall include the following components:
1. Continuing education or professional development designed to,
i. promote continuing competence and continuing quality improvement among the members,
ii. address changes in practice environments,
iii. promote inter-professional collaboration, and
iv. incorporate standards of practice, advances in technology, changes made to entry to practice competencies and other relevant issues in the discretion of the Council.
2. Self, peer and practice assessments.
3. A mechanism for the College to monitor members’ participation in, and compliance with, the program. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 2 (1).
(2) The Committee shall administer the program. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 2 (2).
3. (1) A panel of the Committee shall be composed of at least three persons, at least one of whom shall be a member of the Council that was appointed to the Council by the Lieutenant Governor in Council and at least one of whom shall be a member of the College. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 3 (1).
(2) Two members of a panel of the Committee constitute a quorum, as long as at least one of the members is a member of the Council who was appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council and one of the members is a member of the College. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 3 (2).
Members must participate
4. Every member, other than a member who holds an inactive certificate of registration, shall participate in the program. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 4.
Self-assessment, continuing education and professional development
5. Every member shall participate in self-assessment, continuing education and professional development activities annually in order to maintain the knowledge, skill and judgment required to practise the profession in accordance with the standards of practice and ethics set by the College. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 5.
Records and information
6. (1) Every member shall keep records of his or her participation in self-assessment, continuing education and professional development activities, in the form and manner approved by the Committee and for the period of time specified by the Committee. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 6 (1).
(2) At the request of the Committee, an assessor or an employee of the College, a member shall provide to the Committee,
(a) accurate information about his or her self-assessment, continuing education or professional development activities; and
(b) his or her records described in subsection (1). O. Reg. 33/13, s. 6 (2).
Peer and practice assessment remediation
7. (1) Each year, the Committee shall select members to undergo peer and practice assessments in order to assess the members’ knowledge, skill and judgment. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 7 (1).
(2) A member shall undergo a peer and practice assessment if,
(a) his or her name is selected at random, including by stratified random sampling;
(b) a request is made under subsection 6 (2) and, either,
(i) insufficient information is provided by the member, or
(ii) the member’s records do not demonstrate that the member has engaged in adequate self-assessment, continuing education or professional development activities; or
(c) the member is selected on the basis of other criteria specified by the Committee and published on the College’s website at least three months before the member is selected on the basis of those criteria. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 7 (2).
Note: On the day section 6 of the Act comes into force, subsection (2) is amended by striking out “or” at the end of clause (b), by adding “or” at the end of clause (c) and by adding the following clause: (See: O. Reg. 85/14, ss. 1, 3 (2))
(d) the member is referred for a peer and practice assessment under subsection 6 (2) of Ontario Regulation 84/14 (Registration) made under the Act.
(3) The Committee shall appoint an assessor to carry out the peer and practice assessment which may include, but is not limited to, inspecting the member’s records described in subsection 6 (1). O. Reg. 33/13, s. 7 (3).
(4) The assessor shall prepare a written report on the member’s peer and practice assessment and shall provide it to the Committee. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 7 (4).
(5) The Committee shall provide a copy of the results of the assessment to the member. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 7 (5).
(6) If, after considering the assessor’s report and any other information relevant to the assessment, the Committee is of the opinion that the member’s knowledge, skill or judgment is not satisfactory, the Committee shall provide notice to the member of,
(a) its opinion;
(b) the member’s right to make a written submission to the Committee; and
(c) the date set by the Committee as the date by which any written submissions must be received by the Committee, which date shall be at least 14 days following the date on which the notice is sent. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 7 (6).
(7) If, after considering any written submissions made by the member, the Committee is still of the opinion that the member’s knowledge, skill or judgment is not satisfactory, the Committee may exercise any of the powers under section 80.2 of the Health Professions Procedural Code. O. Reg. 33/13, s. 7 (7).
8. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 33/13, s. 8; O. Reg. 85/14, s. 2