O. Reg. 359/15: CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL LEARNINGSkip to content
Early Childhood Educators Act, 2007
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL LEARNING
Consolidation Period: From January 1, 2016 to the e-Laws currency date.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
Continuous professional learning program
1. (1) Every member of the College shall fulfil the requirements of the continuous professional learning program, which are the following:
1. Successful completion of any educational course, including any jurisprudence course, required by the College.
2. Completion of self-assessments.
3. Development of professional learning plans.
4. Engagement in and completion of the activities set out in professional learning plans.
5. Ongoing completion of records of professional learning that document the member’s engagement in and completion of the activities set out in professional learning plans.
6. Compliance with any other requirements relating to continuous professional learning specified by the College.
(2) The self-assessments, professional learning plans and records of professional learning referred to in paragraphs 2, 3 and 5 of subsection (1), and any other record or documentation that may be required under paragraph 6 of subsection (1), shall be developed and completed in any form and manner specified by the College, and shall include any information or address any elements specified by the College.
Timelines for completion
2. (1) The College may set out rules respecting the timelines for the fulfilment of the requirements of the continuous professional learning program, rules respecting the order in which the requirements must be fulfilled and rules respecting how often a requirement must be fulfilled, and every member of the College shall comply with such rules.
(2) A member of the College may submit a request to the Registrar to defer the fulfilment of a requirement of the continuous professional learning program if there are extenuating circumstances such as maternity or parental leave, illness, disability, bereavement or personal hardship.
(3) The Registrar may grant a deferral requested under subsection (2) if the Registrar determines that the extenuating circumstances would materially interfere with the member’s ability to comply with the requirement.
(4) If the Registrar grants a deferral, he or she shall specify modified timelines for fulfilling the requirement.
3. (1) Every member of the College shall keep the following records:
1. Any record that demonstrates successful completion of any educational course required by the College.
2. A copy of each self-assessment.
3. A copy of each professional learning plan.
4. Any documentation demonstrating the member’s engagement in and completion of the activities set out in the professional learning plan.
5. A copy of each record of professional learning.
6. Any record or documentation demonstrating compliance with any other requirements relating to continuous professional learning specified by the College.
(2) Records that are required to be kept under subsection (1) shall be kept in the form and manner and for the period of time specified by the College.
Proof of compliance
4. (1) Each year, at the time that a member of the College pays his or her annual membership fee, the member shall submit to the Registrar a declaration of compliance with the requirements of the continuous professional learning program in the form and manner specified by the College.
(2) At any time, the Registrar may request information and documents from a member to demonstrate the member’s compliance with the requirements of the continuous professional learning program.
(3) If a request is made under subsection (2), the member shall provide the information and documents within 30 days after the day the request is made.
Suspension of certificate
5. (1) The Registrar may suspend the certificate of registration of a member of the College in accordance with this section if, in the Registrar’s opinion, the member failed to comply with,
(a) any requirement of the continuous professional learning program;
(b) any requirement set out in this Regulation; or
(c) any other requirement specified by the College that relates to continuous professional learning.
(2) The Registrar shall serve upon the member a written notice of an intention to suspend the member’s certificate that,
(a) specifies the default; and
(b) states that the member may provide written submissions to the Registrar no later than 60 days after service of the notice.
(3) After considering any written submissions provided by the member under clause (2) (b), the Registrar shall decide whether or not to suspend the member’s certificate.
(4) Except as provided for under subsections (2) and (3), the Registrar is not required to hold a hearing or provide the member an opportunity to be heard or to make oral or written submissions before making a decision.
(5) The Registrar shall notify the member in writing of his or her decision under subsection (3).
(6) The Registrar is not required to give reasons for his or her decision.
(7) A person whose certificate of registration was suspended under subsection (3) may have the suspension removed if the Registrar is satisfied that the person,
(a) has complied with the requirements mentioned in clauses (1) (a), (b) and (c); and
(b) has paid any outstanding fees and penalties, including any reinstatement fee.
(8) The Registrar may revoke the certificate of registration of a person whose certificate was suspended under subsection (3) if the suspension is not removed for more than three years.
Notice of program requirements
6. The College shall post the requirements of the continuous professional learning program, and any changes to the requirements, on its website.
7. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation).