O. Reg. 703/21: INVASIVE SPECIES CONTROL AREASSkip to content
Invasive Species Act, 2015
INVASIVE SPECIES CONTROL AREAS
Consolidation Period: From January 1, 2022 to the e-Laws currency date.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
Invasive species control area, pigs
1. For the purposes of section 14 of the Act, all of Ontario is designated as an invasive species control area in respect of pigs.
Hunting of pigs prohibited
2. (1) No person shall hunt or trap a pig in Ontario unless the person has the prior authorization of the Minister, and hunts or traps in accordance with any conditions that may be imposed on the authorization.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person hunting or trapping an escaped pig under section 4.
(3) In this section, “hunt” and “trap” have, in respect of pigs, the same meaning as in the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997.
Protection of property
3. (1) Despite section 2, if a person believes on reasonable grounds that a pig is damaging or is about to damage the person’s property the person may, on the person’s land,
(a) harass the pig for the purpose of deterring it from damaging the person’s property; or
(b) capture or kill the pig.
(2) A person may use an agent to harass, capture or kill a pig under subsection (1) if the agent has the authorization of the Minister or belongs to a class of agents prescribed in regulations made under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, for the purposes of section 31 of that Act.
(3) A person who harasses, captures or kills a pig under this section shall not cause it unnecessary suffering.
(4) A person who captures or kills a pig under this section shall immediately notify the Minister, including details of the location and number of pigs killed or captured.
Escaped Pigs — Requirements to notify and capture
4. If, despite clause 8 (1) (b) of the Act, a pig escapes or is otherwise released, the person who possessed the pig shall,
(a) immediately notify the Minister;
(b) unless otherwise directed by the Minister capture or kill the pig as soon as practicable; and
(c) provide such additional information to the Minister as may be requested, including information regarding when the pig was captured or killed, along with the location and number of pigs killed or captured.
5. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation).