O. Reg. 544/22: ACTIVE OFFER OF SERVICES IN FRENCH - PRESCRIBED MEASURESSkip to content
French Language Services Act
ACTIVE OFFER OF SERVICES IN FRENCH - PRESCRIBED MEASURES
Consolidation Period: From April 1, 2023 to the e-Laws currency date.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
Measures to be taken
1. The following measures are prescribed for the purposes of paragraph 1 of subsection 5 (1.1) of the Act as measures to be taken by a government agency or institution of the Legislature:
1. If a person seeking services from an agency or institution, whether it be in person, over the phone or virtually through electronic means, is greeted in English, the person shall also be greeted in French.
2. Any automated telephone systems shall provide persons, at the start of the call, the option of receiving services via telephone in English or French.
3. Any recorded telephone voice messages intended for the public shall be in English and in French.
4. A sign, in French, shall be posted at or near the entrances of an office of an agency or institution notifying the public that services are available in French at that office.
5. If an agency or institution identifies its offices or services with signs containing written text,
i. each sign shall include the written text in both English and French in equal prominence, or
ii. a sign containing the equivalent French text shall be placed next to the sign containing the English text, and both signs must be of equal prominence.
6. If an agency or institution provides to the public an English document containing information about its services, such as brochures, pamphlets, notices and email communications, whether in electronic or physical format, a French version containing the same information shall also be provided at the same time and in the same format.
7. The English version of any document under paragraph 6 shall include a message in French noting that the document is also available in French.
8. Any websites, webpages, social media and other web-based content maintained by an agency or institution containing information about its services must be made available in English and in French.
9. If a service provided by an agency or institution is delivered in multiple steps, the agency or institution shall have a process in place through which any person that has requested to receive the service in French will continue to be served in French at every step without having to ask for French service again.
2. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation).