O. Reg. 559/22: NALOXONE KITSSkip to content
Occupational Health and Safety Act
Historical version for the period December 9, 2022 to May 31, 2023.
Note: THIS REGULATION IS NOT YET IN FORCE. It comes into force on June 1, 2023, the day section 1 of Schedule 4 to the Working for Workers Act, 2022 comes into force.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. In this Regulation,
“safety-engineered needle” means,
(a) a hollow-bore needle that,
(i) is designed to eliminate or minimize the risk of a skin puncture injury to the worker, and
(ii) is licensed as a medical device by Health Canada, or
(b) a needleless device that,
(i) replaces a hollow-bore needle, and
(ii) is licensed as a medical device by Health Canada.
Provision and maintenance of naloxone kits
2. For the purposes of clause 25.2 (1) (b) of the Act, the following requirements respecting the provision and maintenance of naloxone kits are prescribed:
1. Every naloxone kit shall be used, stored and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. The contents of each naloxone kit must be kept in a hard case.
3. The contents of each naloxone kit must be for a single use and promptly replaced after such use.
4. The contents of each naloxone kit must not have expired.
5. The names and workplace locations of the workers who are in charge of the naloxone kit in the workplace and who have received the training referred to in subsection 25.2 (3) of the Act shall be posted in a conspicuous place in the vicinity of the kit where their names and workplace locations are most likely to come to the attention of other workers.
Contents of naloxone kits
3. For the purposes of subsection 25.2 (6) of the Act, the following contents are prescribed:
1. For a nasal spray naloxone kit,
i. two doses of intra-nasal spray, with each dose containing 4 mg/0.1 ml of naloxone hydrochloride,
ii. one rescue breathing barrier, and
iii. one pair of non-latex gloves.
2. For an injectable naloxone kit,
i. two vials or two ampoules, with each vial or ampoule containing a 0.4 mg/1 ml dose of naloxone,
ii. for each ampoule included in the kit, one device to safely open the ampoule, such as a breaker, snapper or opener,
iii. two syringes, with each syringe attached to a 25 gauge safety-engineered needle that measures 1 inch in length,
iv. two alcohol swabs,
v. one rescue breathing barrier, and
vi. one pair of non-latex gloves.
4. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation).