O. Reg. 833/93: REGISTRATION
under Denturism Act, 1991, S.O. 1991, c. 25Skip to content
|current||February 17, 2012 – (e-Laws currency date)|
|May 29, 2003 – February 16, 2012|
Denturism Act, 1991
Loi de 1991 sur les denturologistes
ONTARIO REGULATION 833/93
Consolidation Period: From February 17, 2012 to the e-Laws currency date.
Last amendment: O. Reg. 23/12.
This Regulation is made in English only.
1. (1) The following are non-exemptible registration requirements for a certificate of registration:
1. The applicant must have a diploma in denture therapy or denturism from,
i. George Brown College of Applied Arts and Technology,
ii. any other institution that, in the opinion of the Registration Committee, issues an equivalent diploma or degree.
2. The applicant must have successfully completed the qualifying examination in denturism set by the Council within 12 months of the application.
3. The applicant must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada or have an authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) consistent with his or her proposed certificate of registration. O. Reg. 833/93, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 404/94, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 225/03, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 23/12, s. 1 (1).
(2) For the purposes of subparagraph ii of paragraph 1 of subsection (1), a diploma or degree is equivalent if it offers courses in the areas listed in the Schedule. O. Reg. 833/93, s. 1 (2).
(3) Revoked: O. Reg. 23/12, s. 1 (2).
2. The following are the standards and qualifications for a certificate of registration:
1. The applicant submits a completed application to the Registrar in the form provided by the Registrar, together with the application fee.
2. The applicant’s past and present conduct affords reasonable grounds for belief that the applicant,
i. is mentally competent to practise denturism, and
ii. will practise denturism with decency, integrity and honesty and in accordance with the law.
3. The applicant has not made, by commission or omission, any false or misleading representation or declaration on or in connection with an application.
4. The applicant must deliver his or her original diploma in denture therapy or denturism and documentation identifying the applicant personally to the Registrar if the applicant did not receive a diploma in denture therapy or denturism from George Brown College of Applied Arts and Technology.
5. The applicant must have reasonable fluency in either English or French. O. Reg. 833/93, s. 2.
3. The following are the terms, conditions and limitations of a certificate of registration:
1. The member shall, within 15 days from the day the member becomes aware of any of the following, provide the College with written and, if necessary, oral details of any of the following that relate to the member and that occur or arise after the registration of the member,
i. a finding of guilt in relation to any offence,
ii. a finding of professional misconduct, incompetency, incapacity or other similar finding in Ontario in relation to another profession or in another jurisdiction in relation to the profession or another profession,
iii. the commencement of a proceeding for professional misconduct, incompetency or incapacity, or similar conduct, in Ontario in relation to another profession or in another jurisdiction in relation to the profession or another profession.
2. The member’s certificate of registration expires if the member ceases to be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada or have an authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) consistent with his or her certificate of registration.
3. After the second anniversary date of its issue, the certificate of registration expires on the date the annual fee is due unless the member,
i. has engaged in the practice of denturism for at least 1,500 hours in the preceding three years,
ii. has successfully completed the most recent qualifying examinations in denturism set by the Council.
iii. has successfully completed, in the preceding six months, the courses set by the Council, or
iv. has taught denturism at an institution referred to in paragraph 1 of section 1 for a period of at least twelve months in the preceding three years.
4. The member shall give the College information as required by the by-laws and in the form and manner required by the by-laws.
5. The member shall pay the annual fee as required by the by-laws. O. Reg. 833/93, s. 3; O. Reg. 404/94, s. 2; O. Reg. 318/02, s. 1; O. Reg. 23/12, s. 2.
4. Despite section 1, the Registration Committee may issue a certificate of registration that will expire after a period of no more than thirtydays to an applicant who,
(a) is qualified to practise denturism in a jurisdiction outside of Ontario;
(b) has an appointment to teach a brief continuing education program in denturism primarily for denturists; and
(c) provides a written undertaking given by a member to supervise the applicant and be responsible for providing continuing care for patients attended to by the applicant in Ontario. O. Reg. 833/93, s. 4.
4.1 (1) Where section 22.18 of the Health Professions Procedural Code applies to an applicant, the requirements of paragraphs 1 and 2 of subsection 1 (1) of this Regulation are deemed to have been met by the applicant. O. Reg. 23/12, s. 3.
(2) Despite subsection (1), it is a non-exemptible registration requirement that an applicant referred to in subsection (1) provide one or more certificates or letters or other evidence satisfactory to the Registrar or a panel of the Registration Committee confirming that the applicant is in good standing as a denturist in every jurisdiction where the applicant holds an out-of-province certificate. O. Reg. 23/12, s. 3.
(3) Without in any way limiting the generality of subsection (2), being in “good standing” with respect to a jurisdiction shall include the fact that,
(a) the applicant is not the subject of any discipline or fitness to practise order or of any proceeding or ongoing investigation or of any interim order or agreement as a result of a complaint, investigation or proceeding; and
(b) the applicant has complied with all continuing competency and quality assurance requirements of the regulatory authority of the jurisdiction. O. Reg. 23/12, s. 3.
(4) Where an applicant to whom subsection (1) applies is unable to satisfy the Registrar or a panel of the Registration Committee that the applicant practised the profession of denturism to the extent that would be permitted by a certificate of registration at any time in the preceding three years immediately before the date of that applicant’s application, the applicant must meet any further requirement to undertake, obtain or undergo material additional training, experience, examinations or assessments that may be specified by a panel of the Registration Committee. O. Reg. 23/12, s. 3.
(5) An applicant referred to in subsection (1) is deemed to have met the requirements of paragraph 5 of section 2 if the requirements for the issuance of the applicant’s out-of-province certificate of registration included language proficiency requirements equivalent to those required by that paragraph. O. Reg. 23/12, s. 3.
(6) Despite subsection (1), an applicant is not deemed to have met a requirement if that requirement is described in subsection 22.18 (3) of the Health Professions Procedural Code. O. Reg. 23/12, s. 3.
5. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 833/93, s. 5.
General Anatomy and Physiology
Microbiology and Infection Control
Dental Histology and Embryology
Oral Pathology and Medicine
Dental Kinesiology (Biomechanics)
Dental Psychology and the Aging Process
Pharmacology and Emergency Care
Public Health, Legislation and Research Nutrition
Ethics and Professional Responsibilities
Small Business Management
Radiographic Pattern Recognition
Removable Partial Dentures (R.P.D.)
Dentures Over Implants
O. Reg. 833/93, Sched.