O. Reg. 506/95: GENERALSkip to content
|revoked or spent January 1, 2004|
Fur Farms Act
Loi sur les fermes d’élevage d’animaux à fourrure
ONTARIO REGULATION 506/95
Amended to S.O., 2006, c. 19, Sched. A, s. 45
Note: This Regulation became spent some time before January 1, 2004.
Note: This Regulation was revoked on June 22, 2006. See: S.O., 2006, c. 19, Sched. A, s. 45.
This Regulation is made in English only.
Application of Act and Exemptions
1. Lynx are declared to be fur-bearing animals for the purposes of the Act. O. Reg. 506/95, s. 1.
2. Persons who keep fur-bearing animals in captivity for purposes other than the production of pelts for commercial purposes are exempt from the requirement in section 3 of the Act to hold a licence in respect of those animals. O. Reg. 506/95, s. 2.
3. The fee for a licence to operate a fur farm or renewal of a licence is $10. O. Reg. 506/95, s. 3.
4. The Director may refuse to issue a licence to operate a fur farm if, after a hearing, the Director is of the opinion that,
(a) the applicant is not competent to operate the fur farm, if the applicant is not a corporation;
(b) the officers or directors of the applicant are not competent to operate the fur farm, if the applicant is a corporation;
(c) the applicant does not have the premises, facilities and equipment necessary to operate the fur farm properly; or
(d) the applicant is not in a position to comply with the Act and the regulations. O. Reg. 506/95, s. 4.
5. (1) A licence takes effect on the date specified in it as the effective date.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in the licence, a licence expires on the last day of February next following the date on which it becomes effective.
(3) A licence is not transferable. O. Reg. 506/95, s. 5.
6. If, before the expiry of a licence, the licensee applies to renew the licence and pays the renewal fee, the expiry date of the licence shall be extended until the time that the licensee receives written notice of the Director’s decision on the application for renewal. O. Reg. 506/95, s. 6.
7. (1) The Director may refuse to renew a licence or may suspend or revoke a licence if, after a hearing, the Director is of the opinion that,
(a) any reason exists that, under section 4, would disentitle the licensee to the issuance of a licence if the person were applying for a licence; or
(b) the licensee has contravened or failed to comply with the Act, the regulations or any law relating to cruelty to animals or maltreatment or neglect of animals.
(2) The Director may, by written notice to the licensee and without a hearing, refuse to renew a licence or may suspend or revoke a licence if, in the Director’s opinion, it is necessary to do so to ensure the immediate protection of the safety or health of any animals on the licensee’s fur farm. O. Reg. 506/95, s. 7.
8. (1) Subject to subsection (3), an operator of a fur farm shall, before February 15 in each year, complete and submit to the Director a report on the operation of the fur farm on a form provided by the Director.
(2) An operator of a fur farm shall make and keep the records containing the details of the operation of the fur farm that are necessary for completing the report.
(3) A person who ceases to be an operator of a fur farm shall surrender the person’s licence and submit the report to the Director within 10 days of ceasing to be an operator. O. Reg. 506/95, s. 8.
9. (1) A permit required by section 6 of the Act shall be in a form approved by the Minister.
(2) A permit expires on the seventh day after the date on which it is issued.
(3) A permit is valid only if the operator of the fur farm from which the holder of the permit takes or ships fur-bearing animals or pelts holds a licence. O. Reg. 506/95, s. 9.