O. Reg. 550/96: VIOLENT CRIME LINKAGE ANALYSIS SYSTEM REPORTSSkip to content
Police Services Act
ONTARIO REGULATION 550/96
VIOLENT CRIME LINKAGE ANALYSIS SYSTEM REPORTS
Historical version for the period July 5, 2010 to May 6, 2013.
Last amendment: O. Reg. 265/10.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. In this Regulation,
“ViCLAS” means the Violent Crime Linkage Analysis System. O. Reg. 550/96, s. 1.
1.1 This Regulation does not apply to a police officer appointed under the Interprovincial Policing Act, 2009. O. Reg. 265/10, s. 1.
2. (1) Every police officer who is in charge of an investigation shall, within 30 days of the start of the investigation, complete and submit one or more ViCLAS Crime Analysis Reports, in the form prepared by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and in accordance with the established standards of ViCLAS. O. Reg. 550/96, s. 2 (1).
(2) Every police officer who is in charge of an investigation shall update a ViCLAS Crime Analysis Report that was submitted under subsection (1) within 30 days of a material change or of acquiring information that is significant to the investigation, in accordance with the established standards of ViCLAS. O. Reg. 550/96, s. 2 (2).
(3) Subsections (1) and (2) apply only to the following types of investigations:
1. Homicide or attempted homicide, solved or unsolved.
2. Sexual assault, solved or unsolved.
3. Missing person, where the circumstances indicate a strong possibility of foul play and the person remains missing.
4. Unidentified body, where the manner of death is known, or suspected, to be homicide.
5. Non-parental abduction or attempted non-parental abduction.
6. A type of investigation that is added to the submission criteria of ViCLAS and is designated by the Solicitor General and Minister of Correctional Services. O. Reg. 550/96, s. 2 (3).
(4) The ViCLAS Crime Analysis Reports shall be submitted to any ViCLAS centre that is designated by the Solicitor General and Minister of Correctional Services. O. Reg. 550/96, s. 2 (4).
3. (1) Every chief of police shall prepare and submit to the Solicitor General and Minister of Correctional Services,
(a) an annual report setting out the number of ViCLAS Crime Analysis Reports, excluding amended reports, submitted by the police force in the previous year; and
(b) such other information requested by the Solicitor General and Minister of Correctional Services for audit and policy purposes. O. Reg. 550/96, s. 3 (1).
(2) The first annual report shall be submitted on January 1, 1998. O. Reg. 550/96, s. 3 (2).
4. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 550/96, s. 4.