O. Reg. 461/97: PUPIL REPRESENTATION ON BOARDSSkip to content
ONTARIO REGULATION 461/97
Amended to O. Reg. 243/06
PUPIL REPRESENTATION ON BOARDS
Note: This Regulation was revoked on the day section 6 of the Education Statute Law Amendment Act (Student Performance), 2006 is proclaimed in force. See: O. Reg. 243/06, ss. 1, 2. This day has been named as July 7, 2006.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. (1) Every board shall develop and implement a policy providing for the representation of the interests of pupils on the board. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 1 (1).
(2) The policy shall be in accordance with this regulation and with any policies and guidelines issued by the Minister under paragraph 3.5 of subsection 8 (1) of the Act. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 1 (2).
2. (1) Each board shall have one pupil representative or such greater number of pupil representatives as is specified in the policy. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 2 (1).
(2) A pupil representative must be in the last two years of the intermediate division or in the senior division at the time that he or she is elected or appointed. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 2 (2).
3. (1) The policy shall specify whether the pupil representatives are to be chosen by peer election or by appointment and shall specify the procedures to be followed for the purpose. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 3 (1).
(2) The procedures specified under subsection (1) shall ensure that the elections or appointments occur not later than June 30 in each school year, to take effect with respect to the following school year. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 3 (2).
(3) The policy shall provide for,
(a) the type and extent of participation by pupil representatives;
(b) disqualification of pupil representatives;
(c) the filling of vacancies;
(d) the term of office of pupil representatives. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 3 (3).
(4) With respect to the type and extent of participation by pupil representatives, the policy shall provide that, subject to subsections 55 (3) and (5) of the Act, pupil representatives have at least the same opportunity for participation at meetings of the board and at meetings of committees of the board as a board member has. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 3 (4).
4. (1) The policy may provide for reimbursement of pupil representatives for all or part of their out-of-pocket expenses reasonably incurred in connection with carrying out the responsibilities of pupil representatives. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 4 (1).
(2) Where reimbursement of expenses is provided for under subsection (1), it shall be according to the same policies as govern the reimbursement of board members for such expenses. O. Reg. 461/97, s. 4 (2).
5. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 461/97, s. 5.