O. Reg. 223/98: EMPLOYMENT SUPPORTSSkip to content
Ontario Disability Support Program Act, 1997
ontario REGULATION 223/98
Consolidation Period: From January 7, 2015 to the e-Laws currency date.
Legislative History: 583/98, 584/98, 168/99,, , , , , , .
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. (1) An application for employment supports must be made on a form approved by the Director. O. Reg. 223/98, s. 1 (1).
(2) The Director may approve application forms for the purposes of this section. O. Reg. 223/98, s. 1 (2).
2. (1) The following classes of persons are ineligible for employment supports:
1. A person who is receiving assistance under the Ontario Works Act, 1997.
2. A person who is less than 16 years of age.
3.-8. Revoked: O. Reg. 2/15, s. 1 (1).
O. Reg. 223/98, s. 2 (1); O. Reg. 583/98, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 168/99, s. 1; O. Reg. 350/11, s. 1; O. Reg. 2/15, s. 1 (1).
(2) Revoked: O. Reg. 2/15, s. 1 (2).
3. The following persons may verify that clause 32 (2) (a) of the Act applies with respect to a person:
1. An audiologist who is a member of the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario.
2. A member of the College of Chiropractors of Ontario.
3. A registered nurse who is a member of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
4. A member of the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario.
5. A member of the College of Optometrists of Ontario.
6. A member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.
7. A member of the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario.
8. A member of the College of Psychologists of Ontario. O. Reg. 223/98, s. 3.
Prescribed Employment Supports
4. (1) The following are the prescribed employment supports:
1. Employment consultation and planning.
2. Employment preparation and training.
3. Job placement services.
4. The cost of transportation required by a person in order to participate in the activities described in paragraphs 1, 2 and 3.
5. Job coaching.
6. The tools and equipment necessary for a person’s employment preparation and training or necessary for a person to begin employment.
7. The services of an interpreter, reader or note-taker.
8. Mobility devices.
9. Appliances designed to support or take the place of a part of the human body or to increase the acuity of a sensory organ. O. Reg. 223/98, s. 4 (1).
(2) Despite subsection (1), the following classes of goods and services are not provided by the employment supports program:
1. Educational programs in respect of which financial assistance is available under the Ontario Student Assistance Program, and any goods or services necessary to enable a person to attend such a program.
2. Educational programs established under the Education Act and any goods or services necessary to enable a person to attend such a program.
3. Goods and services available to a person, including home care, community services and attendant services, that are funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care or by a local health integration network under the Local Health System Integration Act, 2006.
4. That portion of the cost of devices and supplies available to a person under the Assistive Devices Program (administered by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care) that is paid by the Program.
5. Medical, dental and nursing treatment and procedures, including prescription drugs.
6. Goods and services that the person’s employer is required under the Human Rights Code to provide.
7. Structural modifications to a person’s place of employment.
8. The purchase or modification of a home.
9. The purchase or modification of a vehicle. O. Reg. 223/98, s. 4 (2); O. Reg. 112/10, s. 1.
5., 6. Revoked: O. Reg. 13/14, s. 1.
Suspension or Cancellation of Employment Supports
7. If a person receives money to purchase specified employment supports, the service co-ordinator may suspend or cancel the person’s employment supports if the person,
(a) does not purchase the specified employment supports with the money; or
(b) does not make the purchase in accordance with the requirements imposed by the service co-ordinator when giving him or her the money. O. Reg. 223/98, s. 7.
8. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of the English version of this Regulation). O. Reg. 223/98, s. 8.