O. Reg. 31/99: COMPLAINTS RESOLUTION COMMISSIONERSkip to content
|current||February 1, 1999 – (e-Laws currency date)|
Law Society Act
ONTARIO REGULATION 31/99
COMPLAINTS RESOLUTION COMMISSIONER
Consolidation Period: From February 1, 1999 to the e-Laws currency date.
This is the English version of a bilingual regulation.
1. (1) When a vacancy exists in the office of Complaints Resolution Commissioner, a committee shall be established to be known in English as the Complaints Resolution Commissioner Selection Committee and in French as Comité de sélection du commissaire au règlement des plaintes. O. Reg. 31/99, s. 1 (1).
(2) The Committee shall be composed of,
(a) the Attorney General or a person the Attorney General appoints as his or her representative on the Committee;
(b) the Treasurer or a person the Treasurer appoints as his or her representative on the Committee; and
(c) a lay bencher appointed by Convocation, who shall be the chair of the Committee. O. Reg. 31/99, s. 1 (2).
(3) A person appointed under subsection (2) ceases to hold office when the Complaints Resolution Commissioner is appointed. O. Reg. 31/99, s. 1 (3).
(4) The function of the Committee is to make recommendations to Convocation for the appointment of a person as Complaints Resolution Commissioner. O. Reg. 31/99, s. 1 (4).
(5) The Committee shall perform its function in the following manner:
1. Subject to paragraph 4, the Committee shall advertise the vacancy in the office of Complaints Resolution Commissioner and shall review all applications received by the Committee.
2. The Committee shall conduct the advertising and review process in accordance with criteria established by the Committee, including criteria relating to the assessment of applicants’ professional excellence, community awareness and personal characteristics.
3. The Committee shall give Convocation a ranked list of at least two applicants the Committee recommends for appointment as Complaints Resolution Commissioner, with brief supporting reasons.
4. If Convocation is of the opinion that there is not enough time to advertise the vacancy, the Committee may review and make recommendations based on applications submitted at the time of a previous vacancy. O. Reg. 31/99, s. 1 (5).
2. (1) Convocation shall not appoint a person as Complaints Resolution Commissioner unless the appointment is recommended by the Complaints Resolution Commissioner Selection Committee. O. Reg. 31/99, s. 2 (1).
(2) If the Committee gives Convocation a list of persons it recommends for appointment, Convocation may require the Committee to give Convocation a list of additional persons who are recommended by the Committee for appointment. O. Reg. 31/99, s. 2 (2).
(3) Convocation shall consider the Committee’s recommendations in the absence of the public. O. Reg. 31/99, s. 2 (3).
3. This Regulation does not apply if Convocation reappoints the Complaints Resolution Commissioner under subsection 49.14 (3) of the Act. O. Reg. 31/99, s. 3.
4. Omitted (provides for coming into force of provisions of this Regulation). O. Reg. 31/99, s. 4.