O. Reg. 436/00: OPERATION OF SCHOOLS - GENERAL
filed July 18, 2000 under Education Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. E.2Skip to content
ONTARIO REGULATION 436/00
made under the
Made: June 21, 2000
Filed: July 18, 2000
Amending Reg. 298 of R.R.O. 1990
(Operation of Schools — General)
1. Section 4 of Regulation 298 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is revoked and the following substituted:
4. (1) This section applies with respect to opening and closing exercises in public elementary schools and in public secondary schools.
(2) The opening or closing exercises may include the singing of God Save the Queen and may also include the following types of readings that impart social, moral or spiritual values and that are representative of Ontario’s multicultural society:
1. Scriptural writings including prayers.
2. Secular writings.
(3) The opening or closing exercises may include a period of silence.
(4) In the following circumstances, a pupil is not required to participate in the opening or closing exercises described in this section:
1. In the case of a pupil who is less than 18 years old, if the pupil’s parent or guardian applies to the principal of the school for an exemption from the exercises.
2. In the case of a pupil who is at least 18 years old, if the pupil applies to the principal for an exemption from the exercises.
2. This Regulation comes into force on September 1, 2000.