O. Reg. 663/00: X-RAY SAFETY CODE
filed December 18, 2000 under Healing Arts Radiation Protection Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.2Skip to content
ONTARIO regulation 663/00
made under the
healing arts radiation protection act
Made: December 13, 2000
Filed: December 18, 2000
Amending Reg. 543 of R.R.O. 1990
(X-Ray Safety Code)
1. Section 1 of Regulation 543 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following definition:
“mean glandular breast dose” means the absorbed dose in milligrays averaged over the central volume of the breast, assuming .5 centimetre adipose tissue above and below the region of the central volume of the breast;
2. Section 8 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsections:
(15) Every medical radiation protection officer shall ensure that, at the facility where the officer acts, the mean glandular breast dose calculated for a standard breast, using technique factors and conditions used clinically for such a breast, does not exceed 3 milligrays per image.
(16) In subsection (15),
“standard breast” means a 4.2 centimetre thick compressed breast consisting of 50 per cent glandular tissue and 50 per cent adipose tissue.
3. Item 2 of Table 5 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
Patient entrance exposure measurements and, for every mammographic x-ray machine, calculation of mean glandular breast dose
Every six months and upon alteration or servicing of the machine
4. Item 9 of Table 6 of the Regulation is revoked.