O. Reg. 6/02: RULES OF VINTNERS QUALITY ALLIANCE ONTARIO UNDER CLAUSES 5 1 A, B AND C OF THE ACT RELATING TO TERMS, DESCRIPTIONS AND DESIGNATIONS FOR VQA WINE
filed January 23, 2002 under Vintners Quality Alliance Act, 1999, S.O. 1999, c. 3Skip to content
ontario regulation 6/02
made under the
vintners quality Alliance act, 1999
Made: January 3, 2002
Filed: January 23, 2002
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: February 9, 2002
Amending O. Reg. 406/00
(Rules of Vintners Quality Alliance Ontario under
Clauses 5 (1) (a), (b) and (c) of the Act Relating to
Terms, Descriptions and Designations for VQA Wine)
1. Subsection 3 (6) of Ontario Regulation 406/00 is revoked and the following substituted:
(6) A vintage year shall appear on the principal display panel of all approved wines except sparkling wines, fortified wines and liqueur wines.
2. Section 5 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
5. A manufacturer of wine shall ensure that an approved wine is bottled in accordance with the following rules:
1. Glass bottles sized 50, 100, 200, 250, 375, 500 or 750 millilitres, or 1, 1.5 or 3 litres, shall be used except that, in the case of wine that is to be offered for sale only outside Canada, glass bottles of any size may be used as long as the wine is packaged for final sale to the consumer.
2. A bottle sized 375 millilitres or greater shall have a closure made of,
i. natural cork,
ii. natural pore-filled cork, filled with resin or dust,
iii. cork composite with natural cork disc or discs,
iv. cork composite, either particle or agglomerate, or
v. 100 per cent synthetic material.
3. A closure described in paragraph 2 shall be solid and cylindrical, and be inserted in the neck of the bottle, except that a traditional T-shaped stopper may be used as a closure for bottles of fortified wine and liqueur wine.
3. Table 2 of the Regulation is amended by striking out “Nothing shall appear between the designated variety or varieties and the geographical indication” wherever it appears in Column 4 opposite subheadings “1. Single Varietal Wine”, “2. Dual Varietal Wine” and “3. Triple Varietal Wine” under the heading “Varietal Wine” in Column 1 and substituting “No letters or numbers shall appear between the designated variety or varieties and the geographical indication”.
Vintners Quality Alliance Ontario:
President and Chair
Dated on January 3, 2002.