O. Reg. 40/04: GENERAL
filed February 27, 2004 under Tobacco Tax Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. T.10Skip to content
ontario regulation 40/04
made under the
Tobacco Tax Act
Made: February 25, 2004
Filed: February 27, 2004
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: March 13, 2004
Amending Reg. 1034 of R.R.O. 1990
1. The definitions of “manufacturer” and “tear tape” in subsection 1 (1) of Regulation 1034 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 are revoked.
2. Subsection 21 (1) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(1) Every package of cigarettes that is intended to be sold in Ontario to a consumer who is required to pay tax under the Act shall be marked in the following manner:
1. The package shall be marked with a tear tape that is pressure sensitive to the satisfaction of the Minister.
2. The tear tape required under paragraph 1 shall bear an indicium that meets the following specifications:
i. The indicium shall read “CANADA DUTY PAID — DROIT ACQUITTÉ — ONTARIO”.
ii. The width of the indicium shall not be less than 4.5 millimetres.
iii. The background colour of the indicium shall be in opaque process yellow, 100 per cent.
iv. The colour of the text shall be in process black, 100 per cent.
v. The text shall be in Helvetica eight point.
3. The tear tape required under paragraph 1 must also include the code or symbol approved by the Minister to identify the manufacturer of the tear tape.
4. The term “ON” shall be clearly printed in a visible location on the external side of the package of cigarettes.
3. (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), this Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.
(2) Section 1 comes into force on the day section 219 of the Responsible Choices for Growth and Fiscal Responsibility Act (Budget Measures), 2001 comes into force.
(3) Section 2 comes into force on the day subsection 243 (1) of the Responsible Choices for Growth and Fiscal Responsibility Act (Budget Measures), 2001 comes into force.