O. Reg. 271/06: GENERAL
filed June 12, 2006 under Ontario College of Teachers Act, 1996, S.O. 1996, c. 12Skip to content
ontario regulation 271/06
made under the
ontario college of teachers act, 1996
Made: June 2, 2006
Approved: June 7, 2006
Filed: June 12, 2006
Published on e-Laws: June 14, 2006
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: July 1, 2006
Amending O. Reg. 72/97
1. Ontario Regulation 72/97 is amended by adding the following section:
Oath or Affirmation
4.1 (1) A person elected or appointed to Council shall, before taking office, swear an oath or make an affirmation as follows:
I will faithfully and impartially, to the best of my knowledge and skill, perform the duties of a member of the Council of the College and any committees of the Council on which I sit.
In so doing, I will ensure that the guiding principle in the performance of my duties is the duty to serve and protect the public interest, which is my duty as a Council member and a duty of the College.
I will perform the duties of my position without favour or ill will to any person or entity.
I will ensure that other memberships, directorships, voluntary or paid positions or affiliations that I may hold will not interfere or conflict with the performance of my duties as a Council member.
So help me God. (Omit this line in an affirmation.)
(2) In swearing the oath or making the affirmation, the person shall use the form provided by the Registrar.
(3) The oath shall be sworn or the affirmation shall be made before a commissioner for taking affidavits.
(4) The person elected or appointed to Council shall swear the oath or make the affirmation, and present the completed form referred to under subsection (2) to the Registrar, by,
(a) the first meeting of Council that the person would otherwise be eligible to attend as a Council member; or
(b) such other date as is determined by the Registrar, but in any event no later than one month after the meeting mentioned in clause (a).
(5) The person elected or appointed to Council may not take office if he or she fails to swear the oath or make the affirmation required under subsection (1).
2. Section 5 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
Quorum at Council Meetings
5. Nineteen members of the Council, at least five of whom shall be persons appointed to the Council under clause 4 (2) (b) of the Act, constitute a quorum of the Council.
3. (1) Subsection 6 (1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out the portion before clause (a) and substituting the following:
(1) The Council shall disqualify an elected member of the Council from sitting on the Council if, at any point during the member’s term, the member,
. . . . .
(2) Subsection 6 (1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “or” at the end of clause (f), by revoking clause (g) and substituting the following:
(g) fails or ceases to meet the criteria set out in Ontario Regulation 293/00 (Election of Council Members) made under the Act for eligibility to be nominated for the position for which the member was elected, as that regulation read on the day the member was declared elected;
(h) fails or ceases to meet the criteria set out in Ontario Regulation 293/00 (Election of Council Members) made under the Act for eligibility to take the position for which the member was elected, as that regulation read on the day the member was declared elected, or takes a position from which he or she would have been required to resign as a condition of eligibility to take the position for which he or she was elected; or
(i) in the case of a person who was a part-time classroom teacher, as defined in Ontario Regulation 293/00 (Election of Council Members) made under the Act, on the day the member was declared elected, provides instructional services, within the meaning of that regulation, on fewer than 10 days during each year of the person’s term of office.
(3) Section 6 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsection:
(1.1) Despite subsection (1), the chair of Council shall not be disqualified for failing or ceasing to meet the criteria for eligibility to take the position for which he or she was elected if the Council determines that the chair could not otherwise fulfil his or her duties as chair.
4. Paragraph 2 of section 26 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
2. A college of applied arts and technology established by regulation under subsection 2 (1) of the Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology Act, 2002.
Pris par :
Council of the Ontario College of Teachers:
Conseil de l’Ordre des enseignantes et des enseignants de l’Ontario :
Marilyn A. Laframboise
W. Douglas Wilson
Registrar and Chief Executive Officer
Date made: June 2, 2006.
Pris le : 2 juin 2006.