O. Reg. 29/08: Operation of Schools - General
filed February 21, 2008 under Education Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. E.2Skip to content
ontario regulation 29/08
made under the
Made: January 31, 2008
Approved: February 13, 2008
Filed: February 21, 2008
Published on e-Laws: February 21, 2008
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: March 8, 2008
Amending Reg. 298 of R.R.O. 1990
(Operation of Schools — General)
1. (1) Subsection 19 (1) of Regulation 298 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by striking out the portion before clause (a) and substituting the following:
(1) No person shall be a teacher in a school unless he or she,
. . . . .
(2) Subsection 19 (3) of the Regulation is revoked.
(3) Subclause 19 (14) (c) (vi) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(vi) in a class for pupils who are deaf, hard of hearing or blind or who have limited vision, or
(4) Clause 19 (14) (e) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(e) the teacher is deemed under subsection (17) to be qualified for such assignment, appointment or placement.
(5) Subsection 19 (15) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(15) On or after September 1, 1982, no teacher shall be assigned or appointed to teach courses in the senior division in technological studies unless the teacher’s certificate of qualification indicates qualifications for Grades 11 and 12 in the area of technological studies to which the teacher is to be assigned or appointed.
2. Subsection 21 (2) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(2) A person appointed under subsection (1) shall be 18 years of age or older and hold an Ontario secondary school diploma, a secondary school graduation diploma or a secondary school honour graduation diploma, or an equivalent to any of them.
3. Section 22 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
Cancelled, Revoked and Suspended Certificates
22. (1) A board shall not appoint a person to teach under section 21 or in accordance with a Letter of Permission if the individual is or has ever been a member of the Ontario College of Teachers.
(2) A board shall not appoint a person to teach under section 21 or in accordance with a Letter of Permission unless the person has provided to the board a written statement that any teaching certificate or licence granted to him or her by another jurisdiction is not cancelled, suspended or revoked for any reason other than for failure to pay fees or levies to the governing body.
(3) A person whose teaching certificate is cancelled, revoked or suspended shall not be appointed as a teacher.
4. The French version of clause 31 (c) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “durs d’oreille, amblyopes” and substituting “malentendants, ayant une vision partielle”.
5. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.
Pris par :
La ministre de l’Éducation,
Kathleen O’Day Wynne
Minister of Education
Date made: January 31, 2008.
Pris le : 31 janvier 2008.