O. Reg. 225/08: Supervisory Officers
filed June 20, 2008 under Education Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. E.2Skip to content
ontario regulation 225/08
made under the
Made: June 4, 2008
Approved: June 17, 2008
Filed: June 20, 2008
Published on e-Laws: June 23, 2008
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: July 5, 2008
Amending Reg. 309 of R.R.O. 1990
1. (1) The definition of “acceptable post-secondary degree” in subsection 1 (1) of Regulation 309 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by striking out the portion before clause (a) and substituting the following:
“acceptable post-secondary degree” means a degree, including a baccalaureate degree in an applied area of study, for which a person is required to complete at least 90 post-secondary credits or their equivalent and that is,
. . . . .
(2) Subsection 1 (1) of the Regulation is amended by adding the following definition:
“post-secondary credit” means the credits a student is awarded on successful completion of a post-secondary course, where six credits are awarded for a one-year post-secondary course and a proportionate number of credits are awarded for a post-secondary course of a different duration; (“post-secondary credit”)
(3) Section 1 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsection:
(2.1) A person referred to in subsection 2.0.1 (1) who is employed by a board is qualified as a supervisory officer for the purposes of the Act and this Regulation for the period during which the person is employed by the board in the position referred to in that subsection.
(4) Subsection 1 (4) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(4) For the purposes of this Regulation, a person shall be deemed to have completed a program in school board management if,
(a) the person holds a master’s degree that is an acceptable post-secondary degree and has successfully completed a graduate course, either as part of or in addition to the courses necessary to obtain the degree, in each of school board finance and school board administration; or
(b) the person has other post-secondary education and experience that the Minister considers relevant to the role of a business supervisory officer and equivalent to the program in school board management.
2. The Regulation is amended by adding the following section:
2.0.1 (1) A board may appoint a person who does not hold or who under this Regulation is not deemed to hold a Supervisory Officer’s Certificate to be a supervisory officer for a term of not more than two years, if the person meets the following qualifications:
1. The person holds a certificate of qualification or an interim certificate of qualification issued under the Ontario College of Teachers Act, 1996.
2. The person has at least five school years of successful classroom teaching experience in any jurisdiction in a school providing elementary or secondary education.
3. The person holds an acceptable post-secondary degree.
4. The person holds a master’s degree that required the completion of at least 30 graduate post-secondary credits or their equivalent, as described in subsection (3), and the degree was granted by an institution identified in clause (a), (b), (c) or (d) of the definition of “acceptable post-secondary degree” in subsection 1 (1).
5. The person meets one or more of the criteria listed in paragraph 6 of section 55 of Ontario Regulation 184/97 (Teacher Qualifications) made under the Ontario College of Teachers Act, 1996.
6. The person has stated, in a written agreement with the board, that he or she will do everything that is reasonably necessary to meet the qualifications listed in section 55 of Ontario Regulation 184/97 for obtaining an additional qualification as a supervisory officer before the end of his or her term.
(2) Despite subsection (1), a board may employ a person appointed under that subsection for an additional period of not more than two years if the person continues to make progress towards meeting the qualifications listed in section 55 of Ontario Regulation 184/97.
(3) To fulfil the requirement in paragraph 4 of subsection (1) relating to the completion of graduate post-secondary credits or their equivalent, the credits or their equivalent must have been completed by the applicant in addition to any credits that he or she was required to complete to be granted a certificate of qualification or interim certificate of qualification issued under the Ontario College of Teachers Act, 1996.
3. Subsection 3 (1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “or” at the end of clause (a), by adding “or” at the end of clause (b) and by adding the following clause:
(c) be qualified as a supervisory officer under subsection 1 (2.1).
4. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.
Pris par :
La ministre de l’Éducation,
Kathleen O’Day Wynne
Minister of Education
Date made: June 4, 2008.
Pris le : 4 juin 2008.