O. Reg. 234/08: Smart Meters: Cost Recovery
filed June 25, 2008 under Ontario Energy Board Act, 1998, S.O. 1998, c. 15, Sched. BSkip to content
ontario regulation 234/08
made under the
Ontario Energy Board Act, 1998
Made: June 17, 2008
Filed: June 25, 2008
Published on e-Laws: June 26, 2008
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: July 12, 2008
Amending O. Reg. 426/06
(Smart Meters: Cost Recovery)
1. (1) Subsection 1 (1) of Ontario Regulation 426/06 is revoked and the following substituted:
Cost recovery, general
(1) In relation to the acquisition of smart meters, a distributor may recover its costs relating to functionality that does not exceed the minimum functionality adopted in Ontario Regulation 425/06 (Criteria and Requirements for Meters and Metering Equipment, Systems and Technology) made under the Electricity Act, 1998, subject to final approval by the Board and the Board’s review and determination that the agreement entered into for the acquisition is economically prudent and cost effective.
(1.01) In determining whether an agreement referred to in subsection (1) is economically prudent and cost effective, the Board’s review shall take into consideration, but not be limited to,
(a) all costs associated with the agreement; and
(b) the costs of the agreement relative to any agreements entered into by the distributor and other distributors for comparable acquisitions.
(2) Subsection 1 (1.1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “the costs it incurred” and substituting “the costs it prudently incurred”.
(3) Subsection 1 (2) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “metering equipment, systems and technology and any associated equipment, systems and technologies”.
(4) Section 1 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsection:
(4) In this section,
“smart meters” includes smart meters, metering equipment, systems and technology and any associated equipment, systems and technologies.
2. The definition of “meter data functions” in subsection 2 (5) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
“meter data functions” means those functions for which the Smart Metering Entity has the exclusive authority to carry out pursuant to Ontario Regulation 393/07 (Smart Metering Entity) made under the Electricity Act, 1998.
3. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.