O. Reg. 232/09: JUSTICES OF THE PEACE REMUNERATION COMMISSION
filed June 19, 2009 under Justices of the Peace Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. J.4Skip to content
ontario regulation 232/09
made under the
justices of the peace act
Made: May 29, 2009
Filed: June 19, 2009
Published on e-Laws: June 23, 2009
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: July 4, 2009
Amending O. Reg. 319/00
(Justices of the Peace Remuneration Commission)
1. Ontario Regulation 319/00 is amended by adding the following section:
0.1 The purpose of this Regulation is to establish a framework for the regulation of certain aspects of the relationship between the executive branch of the government and the Justices of the Peace. It is intended that both the process of decision-making and the decisions made by the Commission shall contribute to securing and maintaining the independence of Ontario’s Justices of the Peace. Further, this Regulation is intended to promote co-operation between the executive branch of the government and the judiciary and the efforts of both to develop a justice system which is both efficient and effective, while ensuring the dispensation of independent and impartial justice.
2. Subsections 2 (4), (5) and (6) of the Regulation are revoked and the following substituted:
(4) The appointments under subsection (1) shall begin on October 1, 2010, and on October 1 in every fourth year thereafter.
(5) The term of office for a member of the Commission is four years, and members are eligible for reappointment.
(6) Despite subsections (4) and (5), the terms of office of the members of the Commission on the day this subsection comes into force are continued until September 30, 2010.
3. (1) Subsection 4 (1) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(1) The Commission shall conduct an inquiry into the remuneration of justices of the peace and shall make recommendations for the remuneration of justices of the peace for,
(a) the three-year period starting April 1, 2008 and ending March 31, 2011; and
(b) the four-year period starting April 1, 2011 and ending on March 31, 2015, and for every four-year period thereafter.
(2) Subsections 4 (2) and (3) of the Regulation are revoked.
(3) Subsection 4 (4) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(4) The Commission shall submit a report to the Chair of the Management Board of Cabinet containing its recommendations for each three- or four-year period described under subsection (1), on or before April 1 in the first year of the period.
4. Section 6 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsections:
(8) Representatives of the justices of the peace and of the Lieutenant Governor in Council may confer before, during or after the conduct of an inquiry, and may file joint submissions with the Commission.
(9) The parties may establish joint working committees on specific issues related to an inquiry conducted by the Commission, and the Commission may participate in any such committee.
5. Section 7 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following paragraphs:
8. The parameters set by any joint working committees established by the parties.
9. Any other factor the Commission considers relevant.
6. Subsection 10 (4) of the Regulation is revoked.
7. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.