O. Reg. 439/09: Needle Safety
filed November 23, 2009 under Occupational Health and Safety Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1Skip to content
ontario regulation 439/09
made under the
Occupational Health and Safety Act
Made: November 3, 2009
Filed: November 23, 2009
Published on e-Laws: November 24, 2009
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: December 12, 2009
Amending O. Reg. 474/07
1. (1) Section 2 of Ontario Regulation 474/07 is revoked and the following substituted:
2. (1) This Regulation applies in each of the following circumstances:
1. A worker is to do work requiring the use of a hollow-bore needle on a person for a therapeutic, preventative, palliative, diagnostic or cosmetic purpose, in any workplace.
2. A worker is to do any work requiring the use of a hollow-bore needle, in a workplace listed in subsection (2).
(2) The workplaces mentioned in paragraph 2 of subsection (1) are the following:
1. Every hospital as defined in the Public Hospitals Act.
2. Every private hospital as defined in the Private Hospitals Act.
3. Homewood Health Centre Inc.
4. Every laboratory or specimen collection centre as defined in the Laboratory and Specimen Collection Centre Licensing Act.
5. Every psychiatric facility as defined in the Mental Health Act.
6. Every nursing home as defined in the Nursing Homes Act.
7. Every home as defined in the Homes for the Aged and Rest Homes Act.
8. Every approved charitable institution as defined in the Charitable Institutions Act that is approved, under that Act, as one of the following classes:
i. halfway houses where rehabilitative residential group care may be provided for adult persons,
ii. homes for the aged in which elderly persons may be cared for,
iii. homes where residential group care may be provided for handicapped or convalescent adult persons.
(2) Paragraphs 6, 7 and 8 of subsection 2 (2) of the Regulation, as made by subsection (1), are revoked and the following substituted:
6. Every long-term care home as defined in the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007.
2. Paragraph 1 of subsection 5 (1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “facility” in the portion before subparagraph i and substituting “workplace”.
3. (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Regulation comes into force on July 1, 2010.
(2) Subsection 1 (2) comes into force on the later of July 1, 2010 and the day section 194 of the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007 comes into force.