O. Reg. 194/11: Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule - Effective September 1, 2010
filed June 3, 2011 under Insurance Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. I.8Skip to content
ontario regulation 194/11
made under the
Made: June 1, 2011
Filed: June 3, 2011
Published on e-Laws: June 7, 2011
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: June 18, 2011
Amending O. Reg. 34/10
(Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule — Effective September 1, 2010)
1. (1) The French version of sub-subclause 3 (7) (e) (iii) (A) of Ontario Regulation 34/10 is amended by adding “soit” at the beginning.
(2) The French version of sub-subclause 3 (7) (e) (iii) (B) of the Regulation is amended by adding “soit” at the beginning.
2. Part IX of the Regulation is amended by adding the following sections:
Definition — provider
46.1 In this Part,
(a) a person who submits an invoice to an insured person or insurer for payment under this Regulation for goods or services, whether the goods or services were provided by the person or by another person, and
(b) a person, other than the person who submits the invoice described in clause (a), who provided any of the goods or services referred to in the invoice.
Duty of provider to provide information
46.2 (1) An insurer may request any of the following information from a provider:
1. Any information required to assist the insurer, acting reasonably, to determine its liability for the payment, including access to inspect and copy the originals of any treatment confirmation form, treatment and assessment plan, assessment of attendant care needs and other documents giving rise to the claim for payment.
2. A statutory declaration as to the circumstances that gave rise to the invoice, including particulars of the goods and services provided.
3. In the case of a provider described in clause (a) of the definition of “provider” in section 46.1,
i. the name and full municipal business address of the provider and of every provider described in clause (b) of that definition, and
ii. proof of the provider’s identity and of the identities of every provider described in clause (b) of that definition.
(2) The provider shall give the insurer the information requested under subsection (1) within 10 business days after receiving the request.
(3) For the purpose of section 51, the amount payable by an insurer under an invoice is not overdue and no interest accrues on it during any period during which a provider fails to comply with subsection (2).
3. Section 55 of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
1. The insured person has not notified the insurer of the circumstances giving rise to a claim for a benefit or has not submitted an application for the benefit within the times prescribed by this Regulation.
2. The insurer has provided the insured person with notice in accordance with this Regulation that it requires an examination under section 44, but the insured person has not complied with that section.
3. The issue in dispute relates to the insurer’s denial of liability to pay an amount under an invoice on the grounds that,
i. the insurer requested information from a provider under subsection 46.2 (1), and
ii. the insurer is unable, acting reasonably, to determine its liability for the amount payable under the invoice because the provider has not complied with the request in whole or in part.
4. This Regulation comes into force on the later of July 1, 2011 and the day it is filed.