O. Reg. 216/13: TRAPPING
filed July 18, 2013 under Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 41Skip to content
ontario regulation 216/13
made under the
Fish and wildlife conservation act, 1997
Made: July 17, 2013
Filed: July 18, 2013
Published on e-Laws: July 18, 2013
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: August 3, 2013
Amending O. Reg. 667/98
1. (1) Subsection 11 (2) of Ontario Regulation 667/98 is amended by striking out the portion before clause (a) and substituting the following:
(2) A trapping licence may be issued to an applicant who is 16 years of age or older if the applicant,
. . . . .
(2) Section 11 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsections:
(5) Despite subsection 64 (1) of the Act, a trapping licence may be issued to an applicant who is at least 12 years of age and under 16 years of age if the applicant,
(a) has successfully completed the fur harvest, fur management and conservation course described under section 16 within the five-year period preceding the application and produces a certificate to that effect; and
(b) files with the application a consent signed by both parents, if the applicant resides with them, or by one parent or guardian in all other cases.
(5.1) A trapping licence issued under subsection (5) is subject to the following conditions:
1. In registered trapline areas, the licence holder shall not be a head trapper.
2. The licence holder shall not hunt or trap furbearing mammals or black bears unless he or she is under the direct and immediate supervision of a trapper who,
i. is at least 18 years of age, and
ii. holds a trapping licence.
3. The licence holder shall not carry or use a firearm unless he or she,
i. holds a class A1 hunter apprenticeship safety card or a class H1 outdoors card issued under Ontario Regulation 665/98 (Hunting), and
ii. shares a single firearm with a trapper under whose supervision he or she is hunting or trapping.
(5.2) It is a condition of the trapping licence of a trapper who supervises a licence holder under paragraph 2 of subsection (5.1) that he or she shall take all reasonable care to ensure that the licence holder complies with the Act and the regulations.
(5.3) The holder of a trapping licence issued under subsection (5) who attains the age of 16 years before the end of the term of the licence may continue to hold the licence until its term expires.
(5.4) If the holder of a trapping licence issued under subsection (5) applies for a trapping licence under subsection (2) and obtains that trapping licence, he or she shall surrender the trapping licence issued under subsection (5).
2. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.