O. Reg. 253/14: OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY AWARENESS AND TRAINING
filed December 5, 2014 under Occupational Health and Safety Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1Skip to content
ontario regulation 253/14
made under the
Occupational Health and Safety Act
Made: November 26, 2014
Filed: December 5, 2014
Published on e-Laws: December 5, 2014
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: December 20, 2014
Amending O. Reg. 297/13
(OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY AWARENESS AND TRAINING)
1. Sections 6 and 7 of Ontario Regulation 297/13 are revoked and the following substituted:
Working at Heights Training — Construction Projects
6. The requirements of section 7 apply to an employer in respect of workers who are required under Ontario Regulation 213/91 (Construction Projects) to use any of the following methods of fall protection:
1. A travel restraint system.
2. A fall restricting system.
3. A fall arrest system.
4. A safety net.
5. A work belt.
6. A safety belt.
Working at heights training
7. (1) An employer shall ensure the following in respect of a worker who may use a method of fall protection listed in section 6:
1. The worker has successfully completed a working at heights training program that meets the requirements set out in subsection (2).
2. The validity period of the training has not expired.
(2) The following requirements apply to a working at heights training program:
1. It must be approved by the Chief Prevention Officer under subsection 7.1 (2) of the Act as meeting the working at heights training program standard that applied at the time of the training.
2. It must be provided by a training provider approved by the Chief Prevention Officer under subsection 7.2 (2) of the Act as meeting the working at heights training provider standard that applied at the time of the training.
Training - period of validity
8. The working at heights training required under section 7 is valid for three years from the date of successful completion of the training program.
Training requirements under O. Reg. 213/91
9. For greater certainty, the requirements of subsection 26.2 (1) of Ontario Regulation 213/91 (Construction Projects) apply in addition to the working at heights training requirements of section 7.
Record of training
10. (1) An employer shall maintain a record of the working at heights training that is required by section 7.
(2) The training record shall include the following information:
1. The name of the worker.
2. The name of the approved training provider.
3. The date on which the approved training was successfully completed.
4. The name of the approved training program that was successfully completed.
(3) A copy of a worker’s proof of successful completion, issued by the Chief Prevention Officer, is a training record for the purposes of subsection (1).
(4) The employer shall make a training record available to an inspector on request.
11. If, before the day Ontario Regulation 253/14 comes into force, a worker has completed training that meets the requirements of section 26.2 of Ontario Regulation 213/91 (Construction Projects), the working at heights training requirements of section 7 do not apply in respect of that worker until two years after that date.
2. This Regulation comes into force on the later of April 1, 2015 and the day it is filed.