O. Reg. 276/15: DESIGNATION OF PUBLIC SERVICE AGENCIES
filed September 18, 2015 under French Language Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.32Skip to content
ontario regulation 276/15
made under the
French Language Services Act
Made: September 16, 2015
Filed: September 18, 2015
Published on e-Laws: September 18, 2015
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: October 3, 2015
Amending O. Reg. 398/93
(DESIGNATION OF PUBLIC SERVICE AGENCIES)
1. Ontario Regulation 398/93 is amended by adding the following section:
3. (1) The University of Ottawa is designated as a public service agency for the purpose of the definition of “government agency” in section 1 of the Act in respect of the following services:
1. The provision of undergraduate programs by the following faculties:
i. Faculty of Law.
ii. Faculty of Social Sciences.
iii. Faculty of Education.
iv. Faculty of Arts, with the exception of the programs of the Department of English.
v. Faculty of Health Sciences.
vi. Telfer School of Management.
vii. Faculty of Medicine.
2. The provision of the following undergraduate programs by the Faculty of Science:
i. Major programs.
ii. The Bachelor of Science with Honours in Biomedical Science program.
3. The provision of the following undergraduate program by the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Engineering:
i. The Joint Honours Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Mathematics program.
4. The provision of the following undergraduate programs by the Faculty of Engineering:
i. The Honours Bachelor of Science with Specialization in Computer Science program.
ii. The Major in Computer Science program.
iii. The Bachelor of Applied Science in Computer Engineering program.
iv. The Bachelor of Applied Science in Software Engineering program.
5. The services provided to students by the academic secretariat of each of the faculties referred to in paragraphs 1 to 4.
6. All other services provided to students by the University, except for the services provided to students by any of its faculties and except for sporting excellence programs and competitive sports clubs.
(2) For academic years starting on or after May 1, 2019, the designation made by paragraph 1, 2, 3 or 4 of subsection (1) in respect of a program applies as follows:
1. The designation continues in respect of a program for an academic year if, for at least one of the immediately three preceding academic years, the number of full-time students enrolled to take the first year of the program in French is at least five.
2. If the program is a new program, the designation continues in respect of the program for the second and third academic years of the program despite paragraph 1.
3. If the designation does not continue under paragraph 1 in respect of a program for an academic year, the designation also does not continue in respect of that program for any subsequent academic year regardless of any subsequent increase in the number of full-time students enrolled to take the first year of the program in French.
(3) In subsection (2) and this subsection,
“academic year” means a period beginning on May 1 in a year and ending on April 30 of the next year; (“année universitaire”)
“full-time student” means, in respect of a program for an academic year, a student whose study load in the academic year is equal to the normal full-time study load for his or her program in the academic year. (“étudiant à temps plein”)
(4) For greater certainty, the designation made by paragraph 1, 2, 3 or 4 of subsection (1) in respect of a program provided only in French or in both English and French does not continue if the University ceases to provide the program in any language.
(5) The designation made by paragraph 1, 2, 3 or 4 of subsection (1) does not apply to the following programs:
1. Minor programs.
2. Certificate programs.
3. Programs specifically designed to address the needs of Aboriginal students.
4. Programs in which all students enrolled in the program are required to take a certain number of courses in English and French, regardless of whether they are enrolled to take the program in English or French and regardless of their mother tongue.
5. Language programs.
6. Language teaching programs.
7. Translation programs.
(6) The designation made by paragraph 1, 2, 3 or 4 of subsection (1) in respect of a program does not apply to the following components of the program:
1. Options within the program.
2. Any of the following courses that are part of the program:
i. Language courses.
ii. Courses provided in a language other than French or English.
iii. Online, video conference, audio conference and other distance education courses.
iv. Courses provided by another institution.
3. Any of the following that are part of the program:
i. Placements, including internships, co-operative placements, clinical placements and other field placements.
ii. Clinical teaching activities.
iii. Foreign exchanges.
(7) The designation made by subsection (1) is limited to services provided by the University at its Ottawa campuses.
(8) The designation made by paragraph 1, 2, 3 or 4 of subsection (1) in respect of a program does not apply to courses and other components of the program that are provided only in English if it is possible to complete the requirements of the program, other than the courses and other components excluded under subsection (6), by completing only courses and other components of the program that are provided in French.
2. This Regulation comes into force on the later of January 1, 2016 and the day it is filed.