O. Reg. 408/15: TRAFFIC CONTROL SIGNAL SYSTEMS
filed December 11, 2015 under Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8Skip to content
ontario regulation 408/15
made under the
Highway Traffic Act
Made: December 9, 2015
Filed: December 11, 2015
Published on e-Laws: December 11, 2015
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: December 26, 2015
Amending Reg. 626 of R.R.O. 1990
(TRAFFIC CONTROL SIGNAL SYSTEMS)
1. (1) Subsection 1 (2) of Regulation 626 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is revoked and the following substituted:
(2) Green arrow, amber arrow, circular green, circular amber, circular red and white vertical bar indications may be used for traffic control signals and, where they are used, they shall be arranged vertically from the bottom, as follows:
right turn green arrow, right turn amber arrow, left turn green arrow, left turn amber arrow, straight through green arrow, circular green, circular amber, circular red and white vertical bar.
(2) Section 1 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsections:
(2.1) Despite subsection (1), a bicycle traffic control signal shall consist of three opaque circular indications, each with a coloured translucent bicycle symbol, arranged vertically from the bottom as follows:
green, amber, red
(2.2) A green arrow indication on an opaque circular indication may be used for bicycle traffic control signals and, where it is used, it shall be arranged vertically below the three opaque circular indications described in subsection (2.1).
(2.3) An amber arrow indication, on the same opaque circular indication that is used for the green arrow indication described in subsection (2.2) or on a separate opaque circular indication, may be used for bicycle traffic control signals and, where a separate opaque circular indication is used, it shall be arranged vertically above the green arrow indication.
(2.4) For the purpose of subsection (2.1), the bicycle symbol shall be as illustrated in the following Figure:
. . . . .
(4.2) A bicycle traffic control signal installed at an intersection shall be located on the far side of the intersection from which vehicles are approaching and an additional bicycle traffic control signal may be located on the near side of the intersection from which vehicles are approaching.
. . . . .
(5.1) Despite subsection (5), a bicycle traffic control signal, where installed, shall be not less than 2.5 metres above the level of the roadway when adjacent to the travelled portion of the roadway and not less than 4.5 metres above the level of the roadway when suspended over the travelled portion of the roadway.
(3) Subsection 1 (10) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “subsections (4) and (5)” at the end and substituting “subsections (4), (5) and (5.1)”.
2. (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.
(2) Subsections 1 (2) and (3) come into force on the later of the day subsection 40 (3) of the Transportation Statute Law Amendment Act (Making Ontario’s Roads Safer), 2015 comes into force and the day this Regulation is filed.