O. Reg. 188/16: HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLE LANES
filed June 9, 2016 under Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8Skip to content
ontario regulation 188/16
made under the
Highway Traffic Act
Made: June 6, 2016
Filed: June 9, 2016
Published on e-Laws: June 9, 2016
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: June 25, 2016
Amending O. Reg. 620/05
(HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLE LANES)
1. Section 2 of Ontario Regulation 620/05 is revoked and the following substituted:
Use of high occupancy vehicle lanes
2. (1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle in a high occupancy vehicle lane unless the vehicle has at least two persons occupying seating positions.
(2) No person shall operate a commercial motor vehicle in a high occupancy vehicle lane unless,
(a) the vehicle has at least two persons occupying seating positions; and
(b) the length of the vehicle or the total length of the vehicle and any vehicle being towed by it is less than 6.5 metres.
(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), a person may operate a motor vehicle in a high occupancy vehicle lane with only one person occupying a seating position if the requirements of one of the following paragraphs are satisfied:
1. The vehicle is a bus.
2. The person is operating an emergency vehicle, as defined in section 144 of the Act, in the performance of his or her duties.
3. The person is operating the vehicle in the lawful performance of his or her duties as a police officer.
4. The person is operating a vehicle owned or leased by the Province of Ontario in the lawful performance of his or her duties as an officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of the Act.
5. The person is operating a vehicle engaged in road construction or maintenance activities in or near the high occupancy vehicle lane.
6. The person is operating a tow truck that has been requested to provide towing or repair services to a disabled vehicle in or near a high occupancy vehicle lane by a police officer, an officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of the Act or a person driving the disabled vehicle, and operating the tow truck in the high occupancy vehicle lane is necessary to attend at and depart from the location of the disabled vehicle.
7. The person is operating a motor vehicle to which are attached valid number plates that,
i. are issued by the Ministry,
ii. have green lettering on a white background, and
iii. display the words “GREEN VEHICLE” or “VÉHICULE ÉCOLOGIQUE”.
8. The vehicle is a taxicab or limousine that,
i. is being operated by a person who has a valid licence, permit or authorization issued by a municipality or airport authority to operate the vehicle for the purpose of providing passenger transportation services, and
ii. has mounted on the rear of the vehicle a valid plate bearing an identification number issued by the municipality or airport authority for the use of the vehicle for that purpose.
(4) Paragraph 8 of subsection (3) and this subsection are revoked on July 1, 2018.
O. Reg. 236/10
2. Section 2 of Ontario Regulation 236/10, as remade by section 6 of Ontario Regulation 99/15, is revoked.
O. Reg. 177/12
3. Subsection 2 (2) of Ontario Regulation 177/12, as remade by section 7 of Ontario Regulation 99/15, is revoked.
4. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.
Steven Del Duca
Minister of Transportation
Date made: June 6, 2016.