O. Reg. 418/16: VEHICLE PERMITS
filed December 2, 2016 under Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8Skip to content
ontario regulation 418/16
made under the
Highway Traffic Act
Made: November 30, 2016
Filed: December 2, 2016
Published on e-Laws: December 5, 2016
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: December 17, 2016
Amending Reg. 628 of R.R.O. 1990
1. Subsection 1 (1) of Regulation 628 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following definition:
“remote island area” means an island that,
(a) is not connected by road, bridge or causeway to the mainland or another island,
(b) is not accessible to motor vehicles by ferry year round, and
(c) has a distinct postal code that is not shared with any other area; (“région insulaire éloignée”)
2. (1) Subsection 2 (1) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(1) It is a requirement for receiving a permit for a used motor vehicle or a motor vehicle classified as salvage or rebuilt,
(a) that the applicant submit a safety standards certificate issued upon an inspection of the vehicle that was completed within the preceding 36 days; and
(b) if the application is in respect of a motor vehicle with a registered gross weight of more than 4,500 kilograms, that the Ministry is satisfied that an emissions inspection report has been issued in respect of the vehicle within the preceding 12 months.
(2) Subsection 2 (2.1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “or (c)” in the portion before clause (a).
(3) Subsections 2 (4), (4.1) and (5) of the Regulation are revoked.
(4) Subsection 2 (5.1) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “Clause (1) (c)” at the beginning and substituting “Clause (1) (b)”.
(5) Subsection 2 (5.2) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “Clause (1) (c)” at the beginning and substituting “Clause (1) (b)”.
(6) Subsection 2 (6) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “or (c)”.
(7) Subsection 2 (9) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “or (c)” wherever it appears.
(8) Subsection 2 (10) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “or (c)”.
(9) Subsection 2 (11) of the Regulation is amended by striking out the definition of “member of his or her family”.
3. (1) Section 8.1 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsection:
(5.1) Subsection (3) does not apply in respect of an application described in subsection (5) if the applicant’s address, as shown on the plate portion of the permit, is within a remote island area.
(2) Subsection 8.1 (6.1) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(6.1) An emissions inspection report issued in respect of a vehicle more than 12 months before the permit expires or, if the application for renewal is made after the expiry of the permit, more than 12 months before the application for renewal, may be used in satisfaction of the requirement set out in subsection (3) if the report was issued on or after January 1 of the calendar year immediately preceding the calendar year in which the application for renewal is made.