O. Reg. 547/17: TRAPPING
filed December 18, 2017 under Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 41Skip to content
ontario regulation 547/17
made under the
Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997
Made: December 13, 2017
Filed: December 18, 2017
Published on e-Laws: December 18, 2017
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: January 6, 2018
Amending O. Reg. 667/98
1. (1) Subsections 11 (2) and (3) of Ontario Regulation 667/98 are revoked and the following substituted:
(2) A trapping licence may be issued to an applicant who is 16 years of age or older if the applicant,
(a) holds an outdoors card issued under Ontario Regulation 665/98 (Hunting) made under the Act;
(b) has successfully completed the fur harvest, fur management and conservation course described under section 16 within the five-year period preceding the application and produces a certificate to that effect; and
(c) meets the requirements set out in section 11 or 12 of Ontario Regulation 665/98 (Hunting).
(3) A class H1 outdoors card or a class H2 outdoors card that was issued before January 1, 2019 under Ontario Regulation 665/98 (Hunting) is a valid outdoors card for the purposes of this section after that date until the card expires.
(2) Clause 11 (5) (b) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(b) files with the application a consent signed by a parent with whom the applicant resides or if the applicant does not reside with a parent, by a guardian.
(3) Subparagraph 3 i of subsection 11 (5.1) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
i. holds an outdoors card issued under Ontario Regulation 665/98 (Hunting) and meets the requirements to obtain a hunting licence set out in section 11 or 12 of Ontario Regulation 665/98 (Hunting), and
(4) Section 11 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsection:
(5.5) A trapper who supervises a person trapping under a licence issued under subsection (5) may not carry or use more than the one firearm being shared under subparagraph 3 ii of subsection (5.1).
2. The Regulation is amended by adding the following section:
11.1 (1) No person shall carry a gun while trapping unless the person meets at least one of the following requirements:
1. The person holds a valid possession and acquisition licence issued under the Firearms Act (Canada).
2. The person holds a valid minor’s licence issued under the Firearms Act (Canada).
3. The person has proof that he or she has successfully completed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course, and tests that form part of that course, under the Firearms Act.
(2) A person who is carrying or using a gun while trapping shall carry the documentation required under subsection (1) while trapping and while in possession of the gun for the purposes of trapping.
3. Subsection 18.1 (2) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “an underwater set” and substituting “an in-water set”.
4. This Regulation comes into force on the later of January 1, 2019 and the day it is filed.