O. Reg. 168/20: GENERAL
filed April 23, 2020 under Ontario Works Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 25, Sched. ASkip to content
ontario regulation 168/20
made under the
Ontario Works Act, 1997
Made: April 22, 2020
Filed: April 23, 2020
Published on e-Laws: April 23, 2020
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: May 9, 2020
Amending O. Reg. 134/98
1. Ontario Regulation 134/98 is amended by adding the following section:
Treatment of Canada Emergency Response Benefit Payments
53.1 (1) This section sets out rules respecting the treatment of payments of income support under the Canada Emergency Response Benefit Act, referred to in this section as “CERB payments”.
(2) Subject to subsection (5), the first $200 of CERB payments received by each member of a benefit unit, other than a member referred to in subsection (3) or (4), and 50 per cent of any remaining amount received by the member shall not be included in income. However, where CERB payments would result in a recipient becoming ineligible for assistance, CERB payments shall be further exempt from income such that income assistance payable to the recipient is equal to $2.50.
(3) Subject to subsection (5), all CERB payments received by a member of a benefit unit who is in full-time attendance in a program of study at a post-secondary institution shall not be included in income.
(4) All CERB payments received by a member of a benefit unit who is less than 18 years of age or who is an adult attending secondary school full time shall not be included in income.
(5) The exemptions set out in subsections (2) and (3) do not apply when calculating income for the purposes of,
(a) determining whether an applicant is eligible for assistance; or
(b) determining the amount of income assistance payable for the first three months during which an applicant is eligible to receive income assistance where the effective date of eligibility of the applicant falls in March 2020 or later.
2. This Regulation is deemed to have come into force on March 1, 2020.