O. Reg. 54/21: ALTERNATIVE LOW-CARBON FUELS
filed February 5, 2021 under Environmental Protection Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. E.19Skip to content
ontario regulation 54/21
made under the
Environmental Protection Act
Made: January 28, 2021
Filed: February 5, 2021
Published on e-Laws: February 5, 2021
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: February 20, 2021
Amending O. Reg. 79/15
(ALTERNATIVE LOW-CARBON FUELS)
1. (1) Subsection 15 (1) of Ontario Regulation 79/15 is revoked and the following substituted:
(1) This section applies to the holder of an environmental compliance approval issued in respect of an ALCF application if the application,
(a) is not in respect of a demonstration project; and
(b) is in respect of an alternative low-carbon fuel facility at which clinker is manufactured.
(1.1) The holder of an environmental compliance approval mentioned in subsection (1) shall ensure that emissions of nitrogen oxides and sulphur dioxide from a kiln located at the alternative low-carbon fuel facility referred to in clause (1) (b) are monitored during the year with,
(a) a continuous emissions monitoring system, installed and operated in accordance with Report EPS 1/PG/7; or
(b) a method that, in the opinion of the Director, will provide estimates of nitrogen oxides and sulphur dioxide emissions that are at least as accurate as the estimates that would be provided by a continuous emissions monitoring system referred to in clause (a).
(2) Paragraph 3 of subsection 15 (2) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
3. A description of the monitoring system or method required by subsection (1.1).
(3) Subsection 15 (3) of the Regulation is amended by striking out “in section 6.6 in the document entitled “Protocols and Performance Specifications for Continuous Monitoring of Gaseous Emissions from Thermal Power Generation – Report EPS 1/PG/7”, published by Environment Canada, dated September 1993” and substituting “pursuant to the quality assurance requirements set out in Report EPS 1/PG/7”.
(4) Section 15 of the Regulation is amended by adding the following subsection:
(5) For the purposes of this section,
“Report EPS 1/PG/7” means the document published by Environment Canada entitled “Protocols and Performance Specifications for Continuous Monitoring of Gaseous Emissions from Thermal Power Generation - Report EPS 1/PG/7”, as amended from time to time, and available on a website of the Government of Canada.
2. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.