O. Reg. 573/21: GENERAL
filed August 18, 2021 under Vital Statistics Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. V.4Skip to content
ontario regulation 573/21
made under the
Vital Statistics Act
Made: August 12, 2021
Filed: August 18, 2021
Published on e-Laws: August 18, 2021
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: September 4, 2021
Amending Reg. 1094 of R.R.O. 1990
1. Section 35 of Regulation 1094 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following subsections:
(4.1) In the case of a death which has been investigated under the Coroners Act by a registered nurse who has been appointed under section 16.1 of that Act, the registered nurse shall, as soon as the cause of death is known, complete and sign a medical certificate of death in the form approved by the Registrar General, stating the cause of death according to the classification of diseases adopted by reference in section 70, and shall deliver the medical certificate to the funeral director.
(4.2) The reference to “registered nurse” in subsection (4.1) is a reference to a registered nurse who holds a general certificate of registration or an extended certificate of registration under the Nursing Act, 1991.
2. Subsection 38 (2) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the documentation prescribed for the purpose of clause 21 (5) (b) of the Act is,
(a) the warrant to bury issued under subsection 21 (6) of the Act; or
(b) the medical certificate of death, if the death was investigated by a coroner under the Coroners Act.
(2.1) There is no prescribed documentation for the purposes of clause 21 (5) (b) of the Act if a registered nurse described in subsection 35 (4.1) of this Regulation has completed and signed a medical certificate of death and delivered it to the funeral director in accordance with that subsection.
3. (1) Paragraph 5 of subsection 49.1 (3) of the Regulation is revoked and the following substituted:
5. Every funeral director.
(2) Subsection 49.1 (3) of the Regulation is amended by adding the following paragraph:
8. Every registered nurse who holds a general certificate of registration or an extended certificate of registration under the Nursing Act, 1991 and who has been appointed under section 16.1 of the Coroners Act, when acting in their professional capacity.
4. This Regulation comes into force on the day it is filed.