O. Reg. 823/21: ADMINISTRATIVE PENALTIES
filed December 6, 2021 under Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8Skip to content
ontario regulation 823/21
made under the
Highway Traffic Act
Made: November 25, 2021
Filed: December 6, 2021
Published on e-Laws: December 6, 2021
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: December 25, 2021
Amending O. Reg. 273/07
1. Ontario Regulation 273/07 is amended by adding the following section:
4.1 (1) A person whose driver’s licence is suspended as a result of being convicted under section 53, 128, 130, 172, 200 or 216 of the Act or whose driver’s licence is suspended under section 9 of Ontario Regulation 339/94 (Demerit Point System) made under the Act shall pay to the Ministry an administrative penalty in the following amount:
1. $250, in the case of a first suspension.
2. $350, in the case of a second suspension.
3. $450, in the case of a third or subsequent suspension.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a suspension is a second, third or subsequent suspension if the suspension commences within five years after a prior suspension that was imposed for the same reason.
(3) A penalty imposed under subsection (1) is payable in addition to any reinstatement fee, in respect of the same reinstatement, required under subsection 26 (1.1) of Ontario Regulation 340/94 (Drivers’ Licences) made under the Act.
(4) If a person owes a penalty imposed under subsection (1) and does not pay it before the person’s driver’s licence is reinstated at the end of the suspension, the driver’s licence may be cancelled upon or after reinstatement.
(5) Where payment for a penalty imposed under subsection (1) is dishonoured, a further penalty of $15 is imposed, and is added to the penalty that is payable under subsection (1).