O. Reg. 83/22: VEHICLE PERMITS
filed February 25, 2022 under Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8Skip to content
ontario regulation 83/22
made under the
Highway Traffic Act
Made: February 24, 2022
Filed: February 25, 2022
Published on e-Laws: February 25, 2022
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: March 12, 2022
Amending Reg. 628 of R.R.O. 1990
1. (1) Regulation 628 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following section:
22.2 (1) Despite anything in this Regulation, if either of the following apply with respect to a vehicle permit referred to in Schedule 4, the vehicle permit is deemed to be valid until March 31, 2022, if the permit holder is an individual, or until September 30, 2022, if the permit holder is not an individual:
1. The term of validity for the permit was extended or continued under Ontario Regulation 45/20 (Extending Time Periods in Ontario Regulations) made under the Act.
2. The term of validity for the permit expires on or after September 1, 2021 but before October 1, 2022.
(2) Despite section 18, when a permit to which this section applies that is held by a person other than an individual is next renewed, a fee calculated in the following manner, and rounded up or down to the nearest nickel, shall be paid to the Ministry:
1. For each month since the permit was last validated, divide by 12 the annual fee that applied at that time in respect of the appropriate permit number set out in Schedule 4.
2. Find the sum of the amounts determined under paragraph 1 for all months since the permit was last validated.
(3) For the purposes of calculating the validation fee payable under subsection (2), a part of a month shall count as a full month.
(4) If a vehicle could not be operated during one or more of the months mentioned in subsection (2), the permit holder for the vehicle may apply to the Ministry to not include the months in the calculation of the fee under that subsection.
(5) If an application made under subsection (4) is approved, the permit holder shall retain, for a period of two years after the date of the renewal, records demonstrating that the vehicle could not be operated during the relevant months and shall provide the records to the Ministry on request.
(6) If for any reason, the fee required under subsection (2) is not paid when the permit is next renewed, it shall be paid at the time of the following renewal.
(2) Section 22.2 of the Regulation, as made by subsection (1), is amended by adding the following subsection:
(7) For greater certainty, if a person surrenders plates for a permit referred to in Schedule 4 to the Ministry before the end of a period of validation, no amount is payable to the person as a refund in respect of the remaining months of validation.
(3) Section 22.2 of the Regulation, as made by subsection (1), is revoked.
2. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, this Regulation comes into force on the later of March 1, 2022 and the day it is filed.
(2) Subsection 1 (2) comes into force on March 13, 2022.
(3) Subsection 1 (3) comes into force on October 1, 2024.